Dvd Videos Will Not Play At All

By xjoesullix
Dec 31, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ive tried playing dvds on every program i have on the computer. in windows media player i get this message: "Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel, and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings."

ive tried all of that, the computer plays avi files fine and every other video files, my drives are working up to scratch

any know how on this would be appriciated.
    Many thanks
    Joe
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,411   +281

You need some dvd playback software or a mpeg2 codec to play dvds. You can find mpeg2 codecs online, or you can get VLC to play them. Although that error message doesn't make sense if that is the problem, but I can't think of anything else that would prevent dvds from playing.
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,382   +205

Let me add that, although Windows Media Player is capable of playing DVDs, you still need the codec that SNGX1275 mentioned. I don't believe it comes with Windows. Otherwise a separate DVD player software will be necessary.
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Some Windows versions do have the MPEG-2 codec, for example XP Media Center, Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate.
  5. ilikeavg

ilikeavg Newcomer, in training

Download Sonic Cine player plugin
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,382   +205

I may have incorrectly assumed his OS was XP though I didn't know about XP Media Center.
  7. xjoesullix

xjoesullix Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 67

i have vista business, ive tried downloading and installing many codecs but still nothing
  8. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Is it necessary to play using WMP? If not, try VLC.
  9. xjoesullix

xjoesullix Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 67

i think it might of ben the fact i idnt have nero installed
    i just found my disc ill try that
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.