DVDs don't run great, does my Toshiba suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I play DVDs there is almost always one place in the movie where the motion gets jagged for a second. I am using a Viewsonic VE150 LCD monitor. I'm not sure if its the monitor or the DVD player. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks a lot!

It may even be the DVD. Is it dirty anywhere? Wipe it off with a clean napkin or of the sort (something lint-free)

Perhaps something is running in the background? I've had this occur a few times. Is your hard drive being accessed while the motion is jagged? I.e. can you hear it? Does the orange light on the front of your case light up?

BTW, :wave: :wave: Welcome to TechSpot Forums :wave: :wave:

We hope you enjoy your stay.

This happens with almost all DVD rentals. They could be dirty. The only thing running in the background is Norton Antivirus. Hm... It could be updating. - Thanks.

Yes it could be updating...but everytime you watch a DVD? :confused:

What program are you using to watch these DVD's? If it's something obscure try switching to PowerDVD or WinDVD, whichever.

You have a nice system, so it's not performance issues...

And no, your Toshiba doesn't suck, it's a perfectly excellent DVD player.

Originally posted by pelikan
When I play DVDs there is almost always one place in the movie where the motion gets jagged for a second. I am using a Viewsonic VE150 LCD monitor. I'm not sure if its the monitor or the DVD player. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks a lot!
If there's only one place and not in every DVD, it's most likely the spot where the layer is changed. Most movies are in dual-layer discs to double the capacity, for some players, it takes a while to change it. I've never noticed it with my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive, though.

Re: Re: DVDs don't run great, does my Toshiba suck?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
If there's only one place and not in every DVD, it's most likely the spot where the layer is changed. Most movies are in dual-layer discs to double the capacity, for some players, it takes a while to change it. I've never noticed it with my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive, though.
Okay, well that makes sense. The problem seems to happen at the same time in various movies (in the middle or 2/3 of the way through). Sounds like the problem is my DVD player. Maybe I'll try to exchange it.
Thanks!

HI, I had a similar experience with DVDs, but with some randomness in when the delay hit. In my case the delay stopped the video, but kept the audio going. I found that by using Ram medic, or something similar, it would free up the working memory and the dvd seemed to work better. hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back