TechSpot

DxDiag and Win2K

By bjsjr
Apr 7, 2002
  1. Does the Direct3D testing in DXDiag work with Win2K? I recently ran it and it passes the Direct3D test when using the DirectX 7 interface but fails when using the DirectX 8 interface with the followong error:

Direct3D test results: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)

I'm using the Nvidia reference drivers 28.32 and have also tried version 23.11. I have also reinstalled DirectX 8.1 numerous times during the test. I have the following hardware:

EPoX EP-8K7A w/512mb RAM (not overclocked)
    Gainward Geforce3 Ti 200 (not overclocked during these tests)

I tried playing Aliens vs Predator II (which requires DirectX 8) and it seems to play just fine. So I'm not sure if this is just a DxDiag problem or is my D3D8 really not functioning?

Thanks for any help.

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

Welcome to 3DSpotLight Forums!
    I'm quite sure I've seen this before but now I just can't find any info.. Anyway, if the games work, I'd say no need to worry, just a DxDiag problem.
    Or you could do the following:
    in dxdiag display tab, disable Direct3D acceleration. Reboot. Run dxdiag & enable Direct3D acceleration.

3. bjsjr

bjsjr TS Rookie Topic Starter

Toggling D3D on and off in DxDiag did it. :grinthumb

Thanks much!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.