Dynamic DNS with DynSite for Windows

By Phantasm66
Jun 19, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, I thought I had better share this little piece of wonder.

Like many of you, I have a cable modem / DSL / etc.... (But this following problem exists for ALL without a fixed IP address...)

Nice if you can get it, but there is the problem. My service provider gives me a dynamically assigned IP address.

One day its 40.2.202.11 and the next day its 22.66.110.4!

Remembering what it is is a chore.... And a problem since I run a number of services including ftp and OpenSSH on my machine so that I can access it from work and control it, send it files, and so forth.....

There is still a DNS entry, but it too changes each time I change IP, one day its PC101.ntl.co.uk or something and the next day its something different....

What I really need is a program that monitors my IP address for changes and automatically amends DNS entries accordingly with a hostname that I have chosen....

Of course, I toyed with the notion of running my own DNS server but I can't see that working in the greater lattice of the internet somehow.... I can't ask to join clydecache or something.... :(

What I mean is, I want to be something like Phantasm66.mydomain.com regardless of what IP address my provider has allocated me today.....

I want to be able to do things like this:

ftp Phantasm66.mydomain.com ,

or

telnet Phantasm66.mydomain.com ,

or open terminal client to Phantasm66.mydomain.com ,

any time I like and not have to worry about what IP address I have today....

Enter DynSite for Windows

A handy little tool that does just that. Of course, I have to choose from a preset number of domain names, but the host name can be of my choosing to a point. And when my IP address changes, the DNS is dynamically updated.

http://noeld.com/dldynsite.htm

Works under near all Windows versions and works well. I found that, about 1-2 mins after installing, my chosen DNS name was active throughout a good portion of the internet, and there was indeed even a function that estimated how much of the internet would know my machine by this host name now.

Cheap, easy and simple! I can't believe I didn't find it before!

[​IMG]

http://noeld.com/dldynsite.htm

Well worth a look. Its not free, and you will have to pay. But as a solution to a problem that's annoying many people with a broadband connection, its a good one.
  2. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,199   +229

Looks very kewl Phantasm - thanks for sharing!

LNCPapa
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.