E-mail problems on dial up

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

Please help - for over 3 weeks I have been having problems sending e-mails.
I am using an IBM40i notebook with factory Windows XP. I have reinstalled XP to try and solve the problem but that didn't help.
With either Explorer or Mozilla, I get messages 'no XML in the response' and 'no HTML present in the HTTP server response' when I try to send an e-mail via either Yahoo mail or gmail. I am no expert on computers, so don't really understand these messages.

I can see my Inbox and open very small e-mails (sub 5kb) and I can surf the web otherwise without a problem, it's just sending e-mails and opening larger e-mails that is problematic. I can send an e-mail sometimes, but only a small (under 5kb) mail, and only in the first 5 minutes of opening the browser. I have tried connecting to the web on ADSL with my machine at my brothers house, and when I do so, there are no problems sending e-mails. I have tried two different modems, but the e-mail problem persists. Dial up at my brothers house was also problematic.

I don't know if other people can access their Yahoo account from my machine, as I don't know anyone else who has a Yahoo account. It seems to be a problem between my machine and my Yahoo and gmail accounts.

thanks for reading

It sounds like you're timing out before then entire mail can be sent. About the email program- neither "Explorer" nor "Mozilla" are email programs. There is an 'Internet Explorer' which is a browser and the Mozilla browser is called Firefox..

I have a Yahoo email account and do not have a problem accessing it, but Yahoo is a web based email account. So the problem sounds like it's in your browser, either of the ones I mentioned above.

Please do this: Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced tab> HTTP 1.1 section> click to CHECK both HTTP 1.1. and HTTP 1.1 by proxy server> Apply> OK.

Do that and see if it resolves the problem. Let me know.

Thanks very much for your reply Bobbye. I tried your suggestion of checking both HTTP1.1 boxes on the Advanced tab under Internet Options but it hasn't improved matters. I do seem to be timing out before I can send an e-mail.

You say that the problem may be in the browser? How so? I have just downloaded a new version of Mozilla Firefox and have re-installed Explorer as part of the reinstalation of XP a couple of days ago.

regards

Steve, I have not used dial-up for a while, but I remember a screen where a time-interval is set before timing out. Open your dial-up connection and see if you can find an option that lets you extend the time. There was also a setting for the number of tries- I think up to 3, before the time-out was invoked,

Since you cannot get an email of any size out with either browser, with that HTTP set, then we default to your connection. Go look around and let me know what you find. You should be able to access it through the Control Panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back