EA is shutting down servers for more legacy games

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Electronic Arts has added another batch of games to its pending online services shutdown list. Online support for Crysis 3, the 2013 first-person shooter from Crytek, will come to an end on September 7. FIFA 18, 19, 20, and 21 on select platforms will see online servers go dark on November 6 and a day later, NHL 19 will lose online play on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

It doesn't end there, however, as EA plans to shut down servers for Dante's Inferno and Dead Space 2 on December 8. Mirror's Edge Catalyst will also lose online multiplayer support on the same day.

These are the latest additions to EA's ever-growing list of online service shutdowns, and more could be added before the end of the year.

It is unclear if EA plans to remove any of these titles from digital storefronts in preparation for their shutdown. Earlier this year, EA pulled some Battlefield games from online stores that are due to have their servers yanked in December.

EA notes that as older games are replaced with newer titles, the number of active players often dwindles to a level where it is no longer feasible to continue the behind the scenes work needed to keep their online services up and running. Just because a game goes offline doesn't mean it can't still be played and enjoyed offline, EA added.

Where do you stand on the matter? On one hand, it does seem somewhat asinine to keep servers for sports games up and running years after launch, especially when new entries are released each and every year. The same can't be said of one-off games like Crysis 3 or Mirror's Edge Catalyst, which brings us to the question of – how long should online servers for standalone games remain active?

Does it depend on the sustained popularity of the title, or should there be a minimum standard for all games so you know what to expect before shelling out cash up front?

Permalink to story.

I get it, it costs money to support these servers.

For sports games 2+yrs old it makes a lot of sense too

I have no skin in the game here with these titles, but I think it would at least be a considerate idea to push out a patch where users could connect with each over over a p2p style approach almost like a torrent server just to accommodate niche players.

I'm not a sports game fan, but I couldn't imagine shelling out 60 dollars on a game just to lose access to MP a couple of years later.

I would be willing to bet that some players who play older games online and still enjoy it may be willing to pay a small yearly fee to keep those services running. The host would obviously need to see a commitment from players if there is enough to make it work. I for instance like Battlefield 3 and 4 online still, luckily those aren't coming down... but I'd pay $20 a year to help keep them online. Then again I'd also rather they just release source code for it so modders can make their own servers and mod them. Most old games with source code and/or moddability are still well alive today even if the original company is not involved.

Pay for Play seems to be a good solution - especially if it is on a "what you can afford" basis. Maybe the server can be geo-located based on total receipts.

So instead of adding LAN from the very beginning, they are now shutting the ONLY possibility of playing their games down, right?
Well, there's a reason why I'm NOT buying any EA stuff nowadays.
Was really hoping for a C&C Generals remake, LAN included, or a Red Alert II, but... Oh well....

I'm wondering how a game like Apex Legends could still be enjoyed offline after its servers are shut down?

One other reason why many games should never go online from the get go.

Is there any reason why a game like Mirror's Edge should have online functionalities?

The answer is NO!

Well , if the game is still playable offline it would not be a huge issue . But recently many modern games cannot be played offline . I ve decided either to avoid such gamer or just to buy them dirty cheap.

Insurgency Sandstorm allows for hosting community/private servers. Great modding community as well. I've been hosting one since new years and have steadily been adding community created/imported maps.....currently up to 52 maps on top of core game.

If anyone plays and is interested:
Server - Nancy's Insiders 1 (make sure coop/versus is unchecked, and modded is checked)

Oh....and bring your drive space....~113GBs of maps/mods.

As long as you sell the game, you should support all the features OR sell the game with a way to implement all the features like P2P multiplayer.

Required??

Lol
Yes in countries with decent digital rights laws, companies can't be abusive with their powers unlike the US. Takes places like the EU to sort out company power imbalances. You lot let companies like EA, Activision, Facebook get away with horrendous crimes all the time. Lucky to get a small wrist slap. I don't think we can get lectured by the moralless default US treatment. It's shambolic.

Yes in countries with decent digital rights laws, companies can't be abusive with their powers unlike the US. Takes places like the EU to sort out company power imbalances. You lot let companies like EA, Activision, Facebook get away with horrendous crimes all the time. Lucky to get a small wrist slap. I don't think we can get lectured by the moralless default US treatment. It's shambolic.
I would hardly call shutting down years old sports game servers abusive AND I dont want my governemt wasting a penny on regulating videogames outside of making sure they have ratings.

You dont like it? Dont further support EA and or, figure out a way to serve the games yourself. Its been done for PS2 and OG Xbox

Back