EA revs hype machine ahead of Battlefield 4's March 26 reveal

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Details about Battlefield 4 are slowly beginning to trickle out as EA looks to build hype leading up to the game's March 26 unveiling at an event during the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco. Although the company will likely remain quiet about anything significant until next Tuesday, it hasn't hesitated to encourage speculation by releasing a the first official piece of promo art along with press invitations to the GDC gathering.

At first glance, the images don't reveal much. The promo shot shows Battlefield 4 to be a modern military shooter with a conventional looking soldier, weapons and vehicles, so you can probably squash any hope of it being some kind of sequel to the futuristic Battlefield 2142. Additionally, for what it's worth, the picture shares many stylistic features with Battlefield 3's early images, down to the colors, reaffirming that BF4 is BF3's successor.

Beyond the obvious, hawk-eyed webgoers have determined that the game's campaign will likely involve China, as the orange rectangle over the soldier's shoulder is recognizable as Shanghai's skyline (click the image for a higher resolution version). The other sub-images are tougher to make out, but some folks are convinced the aircraft silhouette behind the "I" and "E" is that of a Chinese Chengdu J-20, due to be introduced in 2017-2019.

DICE has also released a few seconds of a trailer that's set to go live around the time of next week's unveiling, but we haven't seen anything meaningful extrapolated from this yet. Battlefield Premium members will supposedly get to see the full trailer before it's available to the masses. BF4 beta testing is expected to occur this fall. EA hasn't announced a release date or launch platforms yet, but it's probably safe to assume PC will make the cut.

Permalink to story.

Got me super excited for a moment. for a second I thought 3/26 was to be the game launch. came to find out in the past paragraph that the actual game launch isn't even accounced yet. stop playing up the "game announcement date" and getting out hopes up.

Its strange, I still play a lot of Battlefield 3, it feels, almost too soon, yet when I think about it, Battlefield 3 has been out years now, I guess that's in part due to the regular DLC updates, Man, I checked the install folder for Battlefield 3 on my pc and its 34.2GB!

Imagine the size the next one is going to take up...

Its strange, I still play a lot of Battlefield 3, it feels, almost too soon, yet when I think about it, Battlefield 3 has been out years now, I guess that's in part due to the regular DLC updates, Man, I checked the install folder for Battlefield 3 on my pc and its 34.2GB!

Imagine the size the next one is going to take up...
I feel this same way. Well hopefully they do something to reduce the file size... BF3 only utilizes 30% Frostbite 2 while BF4 will use 80%.

Battlefield 3 is a fun game, but after a while the maps get boring. They need to make things more compelling, like add a map editor or make the weapon upgrades more interesting.

And why in the world did they make the leveling so boring after level 50? Also there was not as much destruction as there was in Bad company, except for karkand which still freaking rocks as a map. The overall graphics are very good but they have this bland glow to them.

This is all from a pc perspective. If you ask me the console versions are just trash. I just hope they improve these things and add the captain feature they had in bf2.

Battlefield 3 is a fun game, but after a while the maps get boring. They need to make things more compelling, like add a map editor or make the weapon upgrades more interesting.

And why in the world did they make the leveling so boring after level 50? Also there was not as much destruction as there was in Bad company, except for karkand which still freaking rocks as a map. The overall graphics are very good but they have this bland glow to them.

This is all from a pc perspective. If you ask me the console versions are just trash. I just hope they improve these things and add the captain feature they had in bf2.
Yeah, squad leaders need more functionality and the graphics need big improvements. The BF3 DLCs were trash because all they were were just the same buildings rearranged on the map and given a new name. And yes, they need a better leveling system. I feel like they can take elements from Medal of Honor: Warfighter, yes a bad game, but was exemplary in terms of customization. We need more vehicles to conquer the large terrain in BF4 also.

add the captain feature they had in bf2.
This.
squad leaders need more functionality.
This...
they need a better leveling system
This Also...
We need more vehicles to conquer the large terrain in BF4 also.
OMG YES! if all the above happen, I'm (almost) sold :)

I also think something needs to be done to show server rules properly as well, I hope I'm not the only one who has gone onto a server, get kicked for using the shotgun or m320, yet the server name doesn't have any rules in and the auto admin announcement's are pretty unreliable to tell you to use !rules or @rules etc...

I love BF3.... it does have some shortfalls as mentioned though. One thing that really pissed me off was they never added LAN client/server support. Although it seems like LAN gaming is dead. I still regularly host a 10-16 player LAN party every 4 months, and BF3 has always been on our wish list of games. In fact a lot of new games are, which don't have LAN support. We are stuck playing mostly old games. Our internet connection just isn't fast enough to handle so many players at the same time.

As for BF4.... I'm betting EA is going to adopt the CoD marketing style, eventually ending up with yearly releases of a "new game" which essentially is a map pack and new single player campaign. Is this good or bad? I don't know... CoD fans sure seem to like it. One of the problems I see with that though is there is little incentive for the developers to improve the gaming engine so graphics become stale, boring, and behind their time. However perhaps creativity goes up? So who knows...

All I know is PREMIUM pack is BS, I didn't buy it for BF3 and never will.

I love BF3.... it does have some shortfalls as mentioned though. One thing that really pissed me off was they never added LAN client/server support. Although it seems like LAN gaming is dead. I still regularly host a 10-16 player LAN party every 4 months, and BF3 has always been on our wish list of games. In fact a lot of new games are, which don't have LAN support. We are stuck playing mostly old games. Our internet connection just isn't fast enough to handle so many players at the same time.

Now this is very true, Hell, Server support would be absolutely fantastic, I love to make my own server (I've got Team Fortress 2 and Unreal Tournament 2004 servers running and will soon have some custom Counter Strike Condition Zero map cycle server running) but I'm not paying hundreds of pounds a month to rent one when I have a perfectly capable server in my own home and perfectly capable internet (80mb down, 20mb up).

This would make LAN's soo much better as well, There's a good 14 of us or so that play BF3 regularly and we've all done a LAN before but of course we're limited to what servers are running and lag, if a local server was installed and we were admins we could choose what ever we wanted and would have no lag at all. Also taking away strain on the internet line.

This wish list keeps getting bigger xD

I also think something needs to be done to show server rules properly as well, I hope I'm not the only one who has gone onto a server, get kicked for using the shotgun or m320, yet the server name doesn't have any rules in and the auto admin announcement's are pretty unreliable to tell you to use !rules or @rules etc...
Come on... that's your fault for using a noob weapon such as the M320 :p
Agree with what you're saying though.

As for BF4.... I'm betting EA is going to adopt the CoD marketing style, eventually ending up with yearly releases of a "new game" which essentially is a map pack and new single player campaign. Is this good or bad? I don't know... CoD fans sure seem to like it.
I sure hope not... rehashing the same game with same graphics and gameplay every year. But seeing how much revenue CoD pulls in it might be inevitable.

Come on... that's your fault for using a noob weapon such as the M320 :p

Hey, I agree, its the noobiest weapons of them all, but you gotta get the assignments xD

I'm currently enjoying the AUG but the M16a4 a nice piece of kit, absolute favorite though goes to the UMP-45 xD

Battlefield 4 with in-game VOIP! That's my only request. DICE will handle the rest.

"All I know is PREMIUM pack is BS, I didn't buy it for BF3 and never will."​
+1​
Saving $10 and getting DLC early is BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

LAN, gone, no one will be putting in games anymore, at least no big developer will ever again. The idea of gaming in the same room as your friends left with the current generation consoles, but in fact its the most fun way to experience a game. Host your own servers? So you can potentially hack something? No way, too risky. DLC is just another way of saying we want more money and are too lazy to make new games so heres some easily put together content that would have been free 10 years ago. I don't understand the big deal with leveling, why not just make all guns available to everyone from the get go and have level playing fields. Achievements and such are just more BS that doesn't add to the game, do you really need to brag to your friend that you play soooo much video games? I'm sure he is not impressed (Singular on purpose). And finally the fact that it's on Origin exclusively, which made me re-download the entire game two too many times because hey, why not, and the POS server browser that uses your Internet browser, seriously wtf. If and this is a big IF, its released with a standalone launcher, or on Steam, I may take a look at this. I miss the days of Battlefield 2, but not enough to play Battlefield 3. maybe they'll do this one right.

Oh and the fact that theres an announcement for the launch event is just sad. The game won't be out before the next gen consoles which for the love of god this better be made for, not our current pos consoles which have as much rendering power as a 5-7 year old PC. Which if I may add was the birthplace to the series and the only place it belongs.

Oh wow, it feels to soon for me too. I haven't even played BF3! :(

BFBC2 is still pretty amazing in my opinion. A shame I'm in Aus and there's not a whole ton of people playing anymore.

I'm hoping they do another 2142 at some point, I really enjoyed that version of BF.

Also I have to agree that I will wait for the "Premium" addition, EA screwed the pooch on that one. I felt really ticked off that they rewarded the people who wait to buy the game versus the people who pre-ordered. I don't think they will make that mistake again.

If EA starts releasing new Battlefields every year, I'll just stick with Battlefield 3 and play that. No way I'm buying the same game every 12 months.

Years? BF3 has only been out a little over a year.

Why do Guests insist on saying things without googling?
Battlefield 3 came out October 25, 2011

That means its been 1 year 5 months, this game is only being announced in a week or so and not even slated until the Christmas holiday's which means Battlefield 3 would have been out for over 2 years by the time this even hits the market.

Host your own servers? So you can potentially hack something? No way, too risky

What the hell are you smoking? Valve have server releases and out of all the games I play I have only once come across an actual cheater on team fortress 2, in battlefield 3 I've come across 5.

I've played over 250 hours on battlefield and over 350 on team fortress.

Go Figure...

Back