EA to drop online multiplayer support for 50 games following GameSpy closure

By Shawn Knight
May 12, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. The fallout from GameSpy's decision to shut down its online multiplayer hosting network continues as Electronic Arts recently released a list of 50 games across multiple platforms that will see their online components go dark on June 30.

Read more
  2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,531   +836

Star wars battlefronts and CnC generals are parts of my childhood. ouch. :/
    DjKraid and wastedkill like this.
  3. wastedkill

wastedkill TS Evangelist Posts: 1,373   +310

So a lot of popular games, I am incredibly surprised about crysis games... When will EA give us credit for this? Or am I going to have to buy more russian keys to make EA realize its not right...
  4. GhostRyder

GhostRyder This guy again... Posts: 2,190   +589

Im going to miss battlefront until the new one comes out (Supposedly). Same with Battlefield 1942, 2, and 2142. Its understandable though, most of these games are ancient and not many people are left playing them anymore.
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

That's a long laundry list of games that are 10 years and older or on niche devices like the Nintendo DS. The only real surprise are the Crysis games, but I guess they're not getting a whole lot of online play for them to be on the list.

(shrugs) Change happens...

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 912   +246

Hopefully LAN will still function on BF2 and 2142 after this. We still play these at LAN parties for hours and hours.

I'm glad to see NFS SHIFT and 2 isn't on this list as I still play those titles.
  7. And then they cry about pirating... I have some of these games, some I even play. Pretty sure there are alternatives for playing this online in not so "legal" way
  8. robb213

robb213 TS Addict Posts: 311   +93

9. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +67

This is why people get pissed when there is no LAN play in games...
  10. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,322   +263

I'm okay with this, as most of the games I may potentially ever replay, I'll probably replay in single player. However, people were still playing MOO3? I'm so sorry...
  11. Movatheaiur

Movatheaiur TS Rookie Posts: 28   +7

The very reason why I don't buy a game if the offline component isn't worth the money. You know the online support is going to go away someday, unless servers are dedicated.
  12. DKRON

DKRON TS Guru Posts: 567   +25

If you have battlefront 2 on steam does it still work?
  13. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 223   +64

Crysis 2 and Battlefront 2 I still play. I think you can still setup you're own dedicated servers though... hopefully. If not, they should at least allow that feature to these games so you can play with friends.
  14. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,202   +422

Yeah... these games are all pretty old so as long as there is LAN play I don't think people should cry about it. I own a bunch of these games and to be honest I haven't gotten around to playing most of them yet but hope I can in the future especially if I have friends drop by so we can do some local play.
  15. robb213

No. If it was a Steamworks game, it would then utilize Steam and its servers. At base, Battlefront 2 isn't a Steamworks game, but is merely sold on Steam for more money making opportunities and reach to customers.
  16. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,293   +55

The infamous crysis is gone?
  17. I miss Lord of Ultima the most. I still haven't found a replacement but whatever it is won't be another EA game.
  18. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Posts: 536   +21

NOOOOOOooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.....why God why?
    There goes BF2, BF2142 and CnC...god damn it...and why the h**l would they kill Crysis 2...seriously...F***...I would want to hit some one now D:

Oh well, if possible then I'll start hosting dedicated servers for BF2 and BF2142 shortly and if all runs smoothly then I'll try to add more games and servers. I'm not that sure on what and how much my good old Proliant can handle...
  19. lavender020

lavender020 TS Rookie

They hit me over the head when I saw Crysis. Then they nailed me in the balls when I saw Star Wars Battlefront II. POW! Right in the childhood. If anybody needs me I'll be crying in a corner somewhere.
  20. veLa

veLa TS Evangelist Posts: 702   +165

Dude this sucks; so many good games that I still like to load up every couple of months.
  21. robb213

Since I can't edit my earlier posts, a lot of these games, like Battlefront 2, have thriving communities off of GameRanger. GameRanger and Battlefront 2 were specifically mentioned together by EA as well.
  22. Packageshop

Packageshop TS Rookie

Found this... for Battlefield