Early iPhone 16 prototypes show that it might not fall too far from the iPhone 15 tree

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Rumor mill: While seeing the possibilities of upcoming devices is fun, take these renders and information with a healthy grain of salt. It is still very early in the design process. There are at least three prototypes because engineers are still working on and testing functionality. All or none of these changes could end up in the iPhone 16, which is still nearly a year away from launch.

The iPhone 16's design might resemble the iPhone 15's in most respects. Internal documents obtained by MacRumors indicate that the primary aesthetic differences will be in the camera lens layout and the button designs. MacRumors drew up some renders from the descriptions of three of Apple's early iPhone 16 prototypes. Let's review the potential possibilities.

The front of the iPhone 16 is business as usual with no changes – not even to the controversial "Dynamic Island." Admittedly, the small black field housing the front sensors is a significant improvement over the notch, especially considering it serves multiple practical purposes now. However, it is still an obstacle forcing movie viewers to use less screen real estate or users to put up with the obstruction to the side of their shows.

Probably the most noticeable change is the layout of the rear camera sensors. There are two styles on the three prototypes. Both harken back to earlier models – specifically, the vertically oriented pill-shaped sensor casing similar to the iPhone X (masthead yellow) and the iPhone 12's separate vertical enclosures (masthead pink). The flash remains to the right of the lenses.

The other significant difference lies in the button layouts and designs. As depicted above, the volume and action buttons remain on the left side, but Apple is experimenting with two styles for each. These variations could offer users a more intuitive and comfortable interface.

The left-side buttons on the pink phone represents the iPhone 15's design. The yellow version is similar but has a unified capacitative volume switch rather than the separate mechanical buttons on the current flagship.

Meanwhile, the black prototype has the same volume buttons as Apple's current model but enlarges the Action button to be slightly longer. You might also notice that the mmWave antenna is below the volume controls. This orientation is the opposite of the iPhone 15, and for good reason.

Looking at the black prototype's right side (above), we see that the iPhone 16 might receive another Action button below the power switch. Since its location above and on the right (when held in landscape mode), it could make a more appropriate shutter switch than the volume buttons, which I have always found awkward to use. While the documents don't go into detail about it, it will likely be a capacitive multifunctional switch, set to the user's preference in the Settings app.

Apple engineers were working on this component under the codename Project Nova. Past leaks call it the "Capture button," which hint to it defaulting to the camera shutter or maybe a single button to take screenshots (another awkward task on current iPhones). It might also be force-sensitive. Apple has tinkered with and even released similar tech in other iPhone models. The SE's home button is an example of a capacitive button that mimics its mechanical brethren using haptic feedback. There was also the Force Touch technology that Apple ran with for a while in iPhone displays and still uses for the Apple Watch and MacBook trackpad.

Image credit: MacRumors

Permalink to story.

That's perfect, because a study shows an average iPhone buyer is a monkey that never gets off the tree.
so I actually don't see this as much of a problem as it first seems. I'm an android user, btw, but the same thing is happening. There is going to come a point when top teir phones stop getting better and we start seeing those high level specs trickle down. My s21+ was a $1000 but now I can get one similar to it, new, for about $500. I can't wait until these ultra-lux phones cost as much as a pack of chewing gum. Not only are phones generally better but people keep them for longer. I use to upgrade my phone every year but with my s21+ I don't think I'll upgrade until it breaks. When I do, I'm probably going to buy a similarly spec'd linux phone because F*** spydroid. At that point, a similarly spec'd phone will be $3-400.

I remember back, when it came to smart phones, every update mattered. Ever year the new version gave wild improvements to last year. Now smartphones are just a commodity. "yeah, I have big hands and like a big screen, that's all I want" That was almost exactly what I said when I got my S21+. Also, it was 100% free so even though it was $1000, I had $400 trade in value and "$600 in credits" from T-mobile and I just used it all on the phone. Glad I did because it'll be 3 years here soon and the battery health still reads 94% so as long as it doesn't break I don't mind keeping it for another year or two.

While at first sight it's easy to think how boring and they've run out of ideas, it's not surprising at all. What exactly would we expect new in the format of the phone itself. Function dictates the form, just why we literally don't reinvent the wheel.

I would just like to see more weight savings. Titanium is only used around the edge of the iPhone Pro's, its effects on weight a minimal.

Anyway I won't be in the market for a new phone for another 2-3 years minimum.

It's all software now... said all phone manufacturers who made so much money selling phones that looks the same every year.

I'm an android phone user in my opinion it has gone downhill now. the whole point of android is that it's open to manufacturers to adopt so we can buy "any" kind of phones we want so we can still use the apps we need.

I love it when I'm shopping for android phones in the past. say between 2014 and 2019. you have so many choices and you're not really concerned about software upgrades (not security patch) because you know next year phones are getting redesigned, much faster, more storage, etc.

you want curved phone? LG got you. you want phone that turns to tablet? Asus got you. you want physical keyboard? Blackberry got you. you want traditional keypad flip phone with touchscreen? Samsung got you. you want rugged touch phone? cat is there, but so is other players. you want physical shutter button for camera? sony is there. etc

right now android is heading ios direction. "it's all software now". let's all make phones about the same size and similar specification so no matter what you buy you're getting similar experience. without foldables, android phone lineup are just too boring. but it's the way because that's what apple did and manufacturers will always follow apple. if iphone 16 only got a small redesign from 15, then the others will follow.

Damn, I thought it was going to be completely different since iPhones have a tendancy to be different every generation.

Apple, be a revolutionary for once, go under screen front camera, in body back camera.
And for extra shock, bring back micro sd slot!!!!

so I actually don't see this as much of a problem as it first seems. I'm an android user, btw, but the same thing is happening. There is going to come a point when top teir phones stop getting better and we start seeing those high level specs trickle down. My s21+ was a $1000 but now I can get one similar to it, new, for about $500. I can't wait until these ultra-lux phones cost as much as a pack of chewing gum. Not only are phones generally better but people keep them for longer. I use to upgrade my phone every year but with my s21+ I don't think I'll upgrade until it breaks. When I do, I'm probably going to buy a similarly spec'd linux phone because F*** spydroid. At that point, a similarly spec'd phone will be $3-400.

I remember back, when it came to smart phones, every update mattered. Ever year the new version gave wild improvements to last year. Now smartphones are just a commodity. "yeah, I have big hands and like a big screen, that's all I want" That was almost exactly what I said when I got my S21+. Also, it was 100% free so even though it was $1000, I had $400 trade in value and "$600 in credits" from T-mobile and I just used it all on the phone. Glad I did because it'll be 3 years here soon and the battery health still reads 94% so as long as it doesn't break I don't mind keeping it for another year or two.
I got a refurb s21 ultra for someone a month ago for just 410 including tax.
These phones, if Samsung does not start to skip on quality, will stay a great inexpensive option for top tier devices.

Just put the damn ON/OFF button back on top. I can’t count the number of times I’ve grabbed the phone out of my pocket only to set off the emergency SOS signal.

I did not intend to downplay the iPhone 16's (potential) physical features. I agree that phone makers have pretty much found the form factor (with slight variations) that most people want. I would particularly like to see the black prototype with its extra action button on the right side. As I mentioned, it would make a perfect shutter switch for the camera. That is one thing I really don't like about the last few iPhone models is the volume buttons acting as a shutter button. They are on the wrong side (the bottom) if you are taking a landscape photo.

Other than that though, everything else can stay the same. OH, except someone mentioned the power button. YES! Please put that back on the top of the phone. It is literally in the worst possible spot. I'm not sure why Apple did that. The only thing that comes to mind is that it might make the screenshot button combo (power+vol button) a bit easier. However, I've actually had more accidental shutoffs while trying to do a screen shot than I ever did when the button was on the top. Although, I don't imagine there are a lot of people taking screenshots. I probably do more than the average person since I frequently use them in iPhone stories.

It's all software now... said all phone manufacturers who made so much money selling phones that looks the same every year.

I'm an android phone user in my opinion it has gone downhill now. the whole point of android is that it's open to manufacturers to adopt so we can buy "any" kind of phones we want so we can still use the apps we need.

I love it when I'm shopping for android phones in the past. say between 2014 and 2019. you have so many choices and you're not really concerned about software upgrades (not security patch) because you know next year phones are getting redesigned, much faster, more storage, etc.

you want curved phone? LG got you. you want phone that turns to tablet? Asus got you. you want physical keyboard? Blackberry got you. you want traditional keypad flip phone with touchscreen? Samsung got you. you want rugged touch phone? cat is there, but so is other players. you want physical shutter button for camera? sony is there. etc

right now android is heading ios direction. "it's all software now". let's all make phones about the same size and similar specification so no matter what you buy you're getting similar experience. without foldables, android phone lineup are just too boring. but it's the way because that's what apple did and manufacturers will always follow apple. if iphone 16 only got a small redesign from 15, then the others will follow.

-Because no one was buying those weird alternate phones and the motive for companies to build and support them went away.

The bar type phone is the standard because it does what people want good enough, and doesn't really do any one thing exceptionally well.

Back