Earsing a bootable OS in C drive.

By jboos
Feb 5, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

I have WinXP Home installed on c drive. It became extremely slow with loads of programs... So I decided to install Win XP Po on a E partition on the same Hard Disk. I would like to erase the Win XP Home on C dirve and rename my E drive as C drive. What do i have to do? Which file must be on the E drive so I can rename it as c drive?

Thanks a million.!

Jorge Boosteels
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You cannot rename your E partition as C. You can make your E appear as C when you delete or hide the original C of course, but that would seriously break your XP Pro installation (all drive letter references in registry etc point to E).

You either live with XP on E or reinstall on C.

You are welcome to spit on the guy who came up with the drive letters idea :p
  3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

Wouldnt it have been better to have just reformatted C and install XP Pro there to begin with?
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

if very knew install
    you need the boot ini file reset to boot from only the e drive
    if you have not installed any other programs just change drive letter by changing c first to g then change e to c
    I have done it in testing
    to not reboot untill you find all reg links and change them to C should not be many
    People want to do the weirdest thing to XP
    I would just upgrade the c drive
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.