TechSpot

EA's digital revenue far outweighs disc-based game sales

By David Tom
Jul 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Electronic Arts is known for its popular disc-based titles such as Madden NFL, Battlefield, and Need for Speed. What few realize is how successful the publisher has been in the digital realm, with profits largely propelled by the recent shift...

Read more

2. Lower the price of console games and you'll see more revitalizing of disc sales.

3. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,356   +402

I can't remember the last time I bought a disc version of a game. I don't even peruse the gaming aisles any more when I go to brick and mortar stores like Best Buy or Fry's.

andrewyoung likes this.
  4. This sounds like an uncomming casualpocalypse.

5. EA execs are planning to raise prices on PS4 and Xbox One games. No more $60 games.

6. EA is a bunch of ****

7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,117   +1,523

Completely agree.

I would much rather have a hard copy, but not if a digital copy cost less. The stats would probably reflect differently is the two were priced the same. It's the same as asking which of the two identical objects you want, the one that cost less or more. Talk about the extinction of brick-and-mortar stores, this very topic is a perfect example.

8. andrewyoung

andrewyoung TS Rookie

ha ha I don't either!

9. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,178   +764

"EA generates more revenue from DLC, mobile and the web".
    Not through me they don't. If it's not on PC & in disk form I ignore it completely.

10. Console games have to pay a license to publish on console. Also, inflation. EA can't lower the price for console games because they cost millions to develop and they have to pay large amounts of money for licensing. On PC they don't pay nearly as much to develop so PC games still cost only $50

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.