ECS K7s5a Pro BIOS Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok the other night i accidentally set my clock multiplyers to 166/133 in bios, when i saved and exited bios, my computer hung at post... turns out that the processor fried :(

i ordered an amd xp 2000+ today. my question is, how do i reset my bios settings to default settings on my ECS K7s5a pro Mainboard. i removed the battery for 6 or 7 minutes then put it back in, i also have my computer unplugged right now. would removing the battery reset my bios to its default settings? i dont want to put my new cpu in and have it fry also cause of the bios settings.

1. Remove the CMOS battery
2. Remove the power cable from your power supply (or just turn of your surge protector).
3. Find the CMOS jumper on your motherboard and change it to the correct position (your manual should give you this information).
4. Wait about 10 seconds, return the cmos jumper to it's original position, plug your power cable back in, and place the CMOS battery back in its slot.

You should be good to go.

If you don't have a copy of your K7S5A Pro manual, you can get one here:

ftp://ftp.ecs.com.tw/manual/eng/k7s5apro50eng.zip

Originally posted by MaRkJr
ok the other night i accidentally set my clock multiplyers to 166/133 in bios, when i saved and exited bios, my computer hung at post... turns out that the processor fried :(

How did you know the processor fried ? It may just have worked fine after clearing the CMOS and booting back up at default bus speed.

its brown and black around the center... (and it wasnt a week ago)

Pretty Obvious then :D :D :D

I thought that AMD were supposed to have fixed this, so that you could even do stuff like take the heatsink off when it is running, and it wouldn't cook, but obviously not.

Originally posted by Th3M1ghtyD8
Pretty Obvious then :D :D :D

I thought that AMD were supposed to have fixed this, so that you could even do stuff like take the heatsink off when it is running, and it wouldn't cook, but obviously not.

The overheating protection has to be done by the board maker. Almost all recent boards have such a mechanism. The K7s5a is just too outdated in that aspect.

yeah my processor that just fried is about 2 years old, it was time for me to upgrade anyway. but i didnt want to upgrade my computer this way though lol.

You can always do like me:cool:
I don't want to spend money on a new system right away, overclock it a bit highter then adviced. Then when it finnally firies you buy yourself a nice computer:grinthumb

Greets Crazy,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back