Edited: My new Core 2 Duo...Please read and offer suggestions!!!!

By mofo91105
Jan 23, 2007
  1. OK, sorry I am always asking about what would be good to build a new PC, but my old PC has finally died and I have been left with no choice but to build one. I am planning on building a Core 2 Duo PC. This is the list so far, keep in mind I am trying to keep this under $750, which is certainly feasible. Let me know what you think. Here is what I plan to order

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe

Motherboard : ASUS P5L-VM 1394

Video Card : BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT

Memory : CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB

Case : COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW

Power Supply : THERMALTAKE TR2 500W

The grand total (with Arctic Silver) is $742, but there are also $80 worth of rebates, so in all actuality, it would be around $660. What I want to know is the following: Will everything be compatable? Is the power supply and case a good deal, or could I find a good combo for cheaper? Do I need to buy a new heat sink? Is this a quality system overall? Have I picked stuff out that is too nice/much for what I need?

I ask you all to make suggestions and comments. I am planning on ordering this in the next few days, so the sooner the feedback, the better. I am using my PC for iTunes, AIM, DVD creating, running an S-Video to my TV, and other normal stuff, NO GAMING. If this is overdone for a standard everyday computer, let me know. I do like to do a lot of encoding and decoding, so I think the best choice for that is the Core 2 Duo. Can't wait to see what you guys have to say!

I tried posting this a few other times, so disregard anything before, I have been working from different computers since mine is dead. Thanks again.
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

CPU Fan?
    Corsair Value Select is cheaper memory. Try Kingston or Crucial at
    The Seagate 250 with the five year warranty is a better drive and a better warranty at a better price, at above.
  3. mofo91105

mofo91105 TS Rookie Topic Starter

What do you mean by CPU fan, should I get one? I am lost. I am assuming that I should get one, but I heard that the stock Core 2 Duo fans would suffice. Let me know.
  4. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

The stock fan that comes with the Core 2 Duo works good. You don't need another one if you're not going to overclock.
  5. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

I suggest holding out for massive price drops. 113$ By June that processor will be. And 153$ for E6320 with 4MB cache.
  6. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

But the cache makes little difference. Let's say, he gets a E6300 or the E4300, and overclocks it to 2.4-2.7 Ghz, and he'll have excellent, E6600-E6700-level performance.
  7. F1N3ST

F1N3ST TS Rookie Posts: 596

Well, then wait for price drops, and the little differance is substantial resale value IMO, when he does decide to sell this new comp.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.