Effect of removing client for Microsoft Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

40 oz.

Just wanted to know what effects it would have on my network if i were to remove the client for microsoft networks in my network protocols and just leave TCP/IP protocol as the only one. Would this speed things up a bit or does this really not make a big difference in net performance?

Originally posted by 40 oz.
Just wanted to know what effects it would have on my network if i were to remove the client for microsoft networks in my network protocols and just leave TCP/IP protocol as the only one. Would this speed things up a bit or does this really not make a big difference in net performance?

You can remove it. It will get rid of the network neibourghood icon if you have one. It really doesn't give you any performance as far as I know

Originally posted by erwin1978
Won't that prevent you from logging on to other computers on the LAN.
'

Erwin, On my XP machine it doesn't seem to affect me, I can use remote assistance or connect to others without it.

Wow, thanks for the tip guys! I uninstalled the Client for Microsoft Networks, and my boot time seems faster. I don't have any real evidence to support this claim, but my connection seems faster too. I'll try to do some test to confirm my results, though all I can say is the connection to the internet still works w/o the client. I have yet to test file sharing and printing, so don't go following the leader ;)

Ok, file sharing does not work w/o the Client for Microsoft Networks. I tried it, and I couldn't gain any type of access what so ever. Once I reinstalled the client, my network could share files again w/o any problems at all. Oh well, I can dream can't I? :eek:

I have just tried uninstalling Client for Microsoft Networks (among other things found here https://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp_modem/index.shtml to increaes my 56k modem speed, all at once) and I can no longer access my shared directories across my LAN.

The error says:

---------------------------
My Network Places
\\xxx\shareddocs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

No network provider accepted the given network path.

My Internet speed is much faster. [EDIT: Wrong! It is not faster. It just was faster because I had to reconnect. It connects fast and then gradually slows down. It goes from 90-99% to 25% over time. Does anyone know why this is?] I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the uninstall of Client for Microsoft Networks or not. I will reinstall it and post again later.

ScHiZo, off topic but http://www.xgames3d.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000974.html does not load!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back