Eight of the top 10 best-selling smartphones in 2022 were iPhones

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: Apple's iPhone 13 was the best-selling smartphone of 2022, accounting for five percent of global smartphone sales for the year. Even more impressive is the fact that Apple handsets captured eight spots in the list of top 10 best-selling smartphones.

According to Counterpoint Research's smartphone sales tracker, the top three best-selling smartphones last year were from Apple: the aforementioned iPhone 13, the iPhone 13 Pro Max and the iPhone 14 Pro Max, in that order.

The research firm said the iPhone 13 made up 28 percent of iPhone sales and was the best-selling phone each month from its launch in September 2021 through August 2022, just before the launch of the iPhone 14 series. The iPhone 14 Pro Max took over the top spot in September and held it through November, with the standard iPhone 14 claiming the number one position in the final month of 2022.

Samsung's Galaxy A13 captured the fourth position overall for 2022 but after that, it was five more iPhones in succession. Samsung's Galaxy A03 made it onto the board in 10th place with a 1.1 percent share of the total market.

Samsung's Galaxy A13 and Galaxy A03 are both entry-level models, and the only two phones on the list that do not support 5G connectivity. Both performed well in developing markets like India, Caribbean and Latin America (CALA), the Middle East and Africa.

Collectively, the phones in the top 10 accounted for 19 percent of total global smartphone sales in 2022. Counterpoint believes the collective market share of the top 10 handsets will increase this year as companies look to clear out inventory and optimize product launches.

Furthermore, the research firm expects brands to continue to lean out their portfolios in an effort to minimize cannibalization. We have already seen this happening over the past couple of years as the number of active smartphone models on the market has fallen from north of 4,200 in 2021 to near 3,600 last year.

Image credit: Imthiyaz Syed

Permalink to story.

My wife and daughter use apple phones and I just can't understand why. I think in part it's the "cool" phone or something because I just can't see the appeal.

I had been using Samsung for years and just picked up the new Google Pixel 7 which has been an awesome phone so far. The OS and camera are both really impressive...but I guess it doesn't have the super cool apple logo.

That list is only 19% of all phones. Since there are not many Apple phones outside that list, Apple still has at most 25% total share.

I don't know how you'd draw that conclusion since we aren't given the breakdown beyond the top ten. For all we know older iphones could be a huge percentage of other ninety, and very likely are given historical trends. The list in the article comprises only 18.8% of all all phones sales that were tracked. Of that top ten Apple products made up 18.2%. That's utter domination by any possible measure.

My wife and daughter use apple phones and I just can't understand why. I think in part it's the "cool" phone or something because I just can't see the appeal.

I had been using Samsung for years and just picked up the new Google Pixel 7 which has been an awesome phone so far. The OS and camera are both really impressive...but I guess it doesn't have the super cool apple logo.

Apple's UI is a little friendlier and they don't sell out their users to every spammer, bounty hunter and identity thief around. That's reason enough for a lot of people to stick with Apple despite the many limitations of the ecosystem.

Last edited:

I use iPhone purely for iMessage and the simplicity of integration with other Apple products. For me, I don't need a crazy customizable phone. I don't play games on it and just use it for texting, Face Time and email and shoot video for a YouTube channel.

I have 3 different messaging apps on my phone for my Android friends (they seem to all use different apps). That's a little annoying. I hope that someday Apple opens up messaging to Android so we can all have one unified experience and live happily ever after. I once was an Android user (had several different Motorola and Samsung phones for years) until I took a leap and tried using an iPhone for a few weeks. What won me over was using iMessage. It was very seamless and worked so well with other Apple devices and users. I am probably part of the minority here, but that was just my experience and just relating what caused me to switch teams since I have so many family and friends that also use Apple products.

That's because Samsung launched more than 25 models of phones last year. it's alot but it's much less than what it used to be. I hope they got the number less this year because it's silly to have too much phones between $100 and $500 and then they don't have much between $500 and $800.

Furthermore, the research firm expects brands to continue to lean out their portfolios in an effort to minimize cannibalization. We have already seen this happening over the past couple of years as the number of active smartphone models on the market has fallen from north of 4,200 in 2021 to near 3,600 last year.

to think that there are 3600 new android smartphone model and 90% of them must have been from the chinese manufacturers... soon when you consider a new android phone you won't have much choice.

Apple's UI is a little friendlier and they don't sell out their users to every spammer, bounty hunter and identity thief around. That's reason enough for a lot of people to stick with Apple despite the many limitations of the ecosystem.
I find getting around on Apple phone to be so aggravating but I have never used one as my main driver. I just used my daughters for a bit and thought it was terrible...but then I wasn't used to it so it wasn't an unbiased opinion either.

Even if I'd like to use Apple phones I can't, because I can't run my own written apps on them. And of someone telling me to buy a piece of hardware with an OS which won't allow me to actually run my soft on it - that is more than stupid. I could understand this approach in very dedicated devices, maybe like Nintendo Switch, but in devices which already are trying to simulate laptops/ portable PC's (iPads) lack of control is unacceptable.
As for the information, maybe might have "only" 20% of market, but with those prices they have probably 90% of market value, being de facto monopoly.

I can literally ask anyone I know with an iPhone what's the reason they bought it and it's sure as **** not gonna be "Well, Apple is actually secure and doesn't sell out, has fewer ads and more optimized apps..." Most people don't know, don't care about these sorts of things. They know one thing - It has an Apple logo. Similar thing with cars. Everyone wants a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, nobody gives a **** about a Toyota.

It's different on forums like these where most people treat tech as their hobby, they tend do have an actual reason as to why they're using what they're using.

I don't know how you'd draw that conclusion since we aren't given the breakdown beyond the top ten. For all we know older iphones could be a huge percentage of other ninety, and very likely are given historical trends. The list in the article comprises only 18.8% of all all phones sales that were tracked. Of that top ten Apple products made up 18.2%. That's utter domination by any possible measure.
How about looking at global shipments by brand? That's under 25% for Apple btw. I cannot see "domination" when Apple has total share under a quarter.

Some people call it mindshare I call it zombification, however apple does it well.

I can literally ask anyone I know with an iPhone what's the reason they bought it and it's sure as **** not gonna be "Well, Apple is actually secure and doesn't sell out, has fewer ads and more optimized apps..." Most people don't know, don't care about these sorts of things. They know one thing - It has an Apple logo. Similar thing with cars. Everyone wants a Mercedes, BMW or Audi, nobody gives a **** about a Toyota.

It's different on forums like these where most people treat tech as their hobby, they tend do have an actual reason as to why they're using what they're using.
yeah I have to say this is spot on imo.
My snobby sister told me one time "yeah we don't with any of those other brands like samsung or lg"...she said it like she was so big time lol

What can I say, Apple makes great phones. And if you dont care about all the random custom stuff you can do with your phone then it is the best of the best.
One more reason to pick apple, other phone makers already sell their top models at the same prices as apple. So if there ever was a price advantage, it is gone. Just check Xiaomi 13 prices, they definitely think they reach Apple's heights.

I got a Samsung A13 5G last year and it came with Android 11, updated to 12 and just updated to 13 last month. Word is it may get Android 14 if released soon enough. What I like is it comes with 4 years worth of security updates. Works great for the price I paid and what I use it for.

That list is only 19% of all phones. Since there are not many Apple phones outside that list, Apple still has at most 25% total share.
Yeah. And around 60% of all profits in the market. Another 26% goes to Samsung, and the remaining couple hundred OEMs get to share the other 14% left.

Some people call it mindshare I call it zombification, however apple does it well.
Or... they just make hardware and software that actually works. And they support them for like 6-7 years, which none of the Android phone makers can brag about. None. I tried even Android One phones, and guess what, updates sometimes came months later, or not at all. While the WHOLE POINT of Android One is to be up-to-date at all times. And I'm not talking about 3rd party "cooked" cr@p, I'm talking about official support. On iOS, I get the update on day one, on any carrier, in any country. Period.

I'm always baffled how obsessed some Android users are with Apple users. Makes me wonder, if they're so happy about their own choices, why do they get so angry when other people make different choices? What's the source of their insecurity about their own decisions? Are they having second thoughts? Is it cognitive dissonance?

I personally couldn't care less about Android. All I want is for Android zealots to stop calling me names ("zombies", "iSheep", and other very "clever" kindergarten stuff), and stop telling me what I'm supposed to think about my phone or its maker. Just leave us alone. Enjoy your "superior" OS and let us be.

Last edited:
What is the Android vs IOS breakdown?
With just one place to get an IOS phone, it is bound to tip the scales to the Apple name.

I'm always baffled how obsessed some Android users are with Apple users.
I think it's overall justified to be honest, EXCEPT for phones, TV and tablets.
Those are the only areas Apple has competitive pricing. (Unless you want accessories)

EDIT: And by the way, I am also completely in with Apple now. You couldn't give me a free Android phone or tablet.
I even got rid of all my Nvidia shields and bought all Apple TV devices.

Last edited:

I just got my 11 year old daughter the iPhone 14 and used the t-mobile promo that gets a new line for $20 and one free line. Also each line gets $400 off the new galaxy 23 phones. The pre-purchase offer allowed 1 memory tear upgrade. I ended up getting the Galaxy s23 ultra 512 gig for $800 and got the wife the Galaxy s23 base model for $400. Unfortunately the iPhone was full price but I got a great deal on the galaxies and the lines.
I was ok with her getting an IPhone because I wanted to put an Airtag in my q7 ( due to auto theft in NY on the rise) and the only way to track it is with a iPad or iPhone.

Even if I'd like to use Apple phones I can't, because I can't run my own written apps on them. And of someone telling me to buy a piece of hardware with an OS which won't allow me to actually run my soft on it - that is more than stupid. I could understand this approach in very dedicated devices, maybe like Nintendo Switch, but in devices which already are trying to simulate laptops/ portable PC's (iPads) lack of control is unacceptable.
As for the information, maybe might have "only" 20% of market, but with those prices they have probably 90% of market value, being de facto monopoly.
An Apple Developer License costs $100 bucks. You could technically deploy your apps on your own device once you register your device. I know it's not free, but $100 bucks a year is all it costs and if you wanted to deploy to the app store, you could. That's what I do. lol

An Apple Developer License costs $100 bucks. You could technically deploy your apps on your own device once you register your device. I know it's not free, but $100 bucks a year is all it costs and if you wanted to deploy to the app store, you could. That's what I do. lol
Agree with the OP, $100 to dev on your own phone is an abusive relationship if it's just a hobby.

Even if I'd like to use Apple phones I can't, because I can't run my own written apps on them.

Even if it isn't exactly the same, you can easily use Xcode for free and install your apps on your phone. You can't push it through the App Store for others, but you can do it for any device you want to run an app on, done it myself to get around that limitation.

you don't have to pay just to load your own apps on your own device (or even friends') you just have to pay that to get in the App Store

Register??? Its HIS device. Why can he not run what he likes?

Back