TechSpot

Either a dodgy moniter, or my new computer wont POST, please help!

By Diomedes1
Dec 22, 2005
  1. Hi, i just a built a new pc with a 7800Gt in it. When i first started it up, everything ran, all fans were spinning, temp was ok in the components, but there was no action from the Hd or anything. I think i can solve this, as i may has simply misplaced the little adapters for the hd light. The thing that i found really weird was that when i use the DVI/D-SUB Adapter, the moniter goes on standby instantly (i have to use the adapter due to having a really old moniter). The DVI/D-SUB Adapter doesnt even have to be connected to the graphics card, it can just be left on its own, and once i stick the socket for my moniter in it the moniter instantly goes on standby, as soon as i take it out again it comes back on green. Why on earth is this? I have no way of visually finding out the state of my computer (though i dont hear any beeps from the bios).

Can somone please help?

2. gilloz

gilloz TS Rookie Posts: 95

Hello Diomedes1:

Am I to understand you that you plug things in and out with your computer running? I was under the impression that you could cause a spike or surge on any one of many connections on a connector that could give you a problem while powered up. Most monitors today go into the Sleep mode or give you a warning that no video signal is present, before going into the Sleep mode. I personally would never plug any peripherals to my computer while both of them were ON. If I am wrong in that assumption, judging from your thread, I take back what I said above. Can you get another monitor as a test unit to verify your system?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.