Elon Musk says lockdown is "fascist" and "forcibly imprisoning people in their homes"

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: In its earnings call yesterday, Tesla beat analysts' estimates for its first-quarter revenue, but that's not what most people are talking about. Elon Musk overshadowed the results by ranting against shelter-in-place orders, which he called "fascist" and claimed infringed on people's rights.

Tesla recorded 88,400 sales between January and March, along with a profit of $16 million. Despite the disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, this marks the third quarter in a row that the company has recorded a profit.

During the call, Musk said he did not know when Tesla's Fremont, California factory would reopen, lambasting the Bay Area's shelter-in-place order. "We are a bit worried about not being able to resume production in the Bay Area," explained the CEO. "The extension of shelter-in-place - or as I would call it, forcibly imprisoning people in their homes, against all constitutional right, and in my opinion infringing on people's freedoms in ways that are horrible and wrong, and not why people came to America or pulled this country - what the f**k?"

Tesla was slow to shutter its Freemont factory, waiting almost a week after the Bay Area ordered non-essential businesses to close before complying.

Musk went on to warn that the lockdown would cause great harm to Tesla and many other companies. But while larger firms like the EV maker could survive, many smaller businesses would not.

This wasn't Musk's first objection to the orders. He posted a series of tweets on Tuesday praising Texas for reopening businesses, calling for the government to give people their freedom back, and an all-caps "FREE AMERICA NOW" message, which has become his pinned tweet.

Musk's comments haven't damaged Tesla's share price, which was up 4 percent to $870.49 in after-hours trading.

Musk previously claimed there would be "close to zero new cases" of Covid-19 in the US by the end of April. Yesterday, there were 23,901 reported cases and 2,247 deaths, bringing the total number of fatalities to 57,505---more than the total number of Americans who died in the Vietnam war, where fighting lasted more than a decade.

With lockdown protests taking place in many states, Facebook is now banning event listings that organize these rallies. The decision has brought criticism from several public figures and politicians who call it a violation of people's right to freedom of speech.

Permalink to story.

Did he broadcast this from his own safety bunker? - Musk's Bunker

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Isn't this the same guy who was happy to build a car company based on each luxury car he sold getting a huge subsidy from the government? So in effect he's fine when the government requires each citizen to help pay for his cars, but not when that same government requires each citizen to take reasonable precautions towards not spreading an epidemic?

Did he broadcast this from his own safety banker?

Here I Portugal, we had a fascist government for nearly half a century. This month, on the 25th, we commemorated the revolution that ended this regime.
Seeing someone say something as stupid as this is almost insulting.
If Elon Musk had lived in a real fascist state, he wouldn't say such nonsense about a quarantine.

It is not the first time that musk makes a statement that is either quite distorted from reality, false or plain delusional. Seems like these days companies and voters are quite fond of severely mentally disturbed individuals - indicative of sharing traits of similar or perhaps greater dysfunction.

In my country, lockdown is actually real, if you are caught outside you get arrested and a) get fined b) get jail time.

What US has is not a lockdown, it's a suggested lockdown, with minor inconveniences (compared to what I just told you) if police stops you.

Its little wonder that Musk is concerned with the extended quarantine: all of his companies rely on large amounts of tax dollars to keep them afloat. Cry me a river, Elon. Regardless, there are valid points on both sides of this debate. But if a state government issues an emergency order that is within established legal precedent then citizens have an obligation to comply. This isn't really a grey area at all. What bothers me the most about this whole thing is the lack of basic concern people are showing for their own health and safety, and by extension that of others. We're all expected to obey traffic laws for everyone's sake, not just our own, and this is no different. Its a public safety issue. So you want to go to work because you have bills to pay - I respect that, I do. I know that $1200 will barely pay a month's rent in most of the bigger cities and not many landlords are willing to defer..and when the lockdown finally ends are people going to be facing several months worth or rent payments? The government needs to be putting measures in place NOW to deal with this kind of thing and to ease the transition back to a fully functioning economy - right now all I'm hearing is "first we need to get past this". That's a huge mistake because an awful lot of smaller companies are not going to survive. (I suppose that'll make the Democrat leadership happy, considering that they only wanted the provide aid to the big corporations - so much for all their crying about "corporate welfare.") Meanwhile, however, we all have to do our part to keep this nightmare from lasting even longer. Every day that this thing drags on we get one step closer to becoming Venezuela.

For those of you not in the US, please note that Elon Musk, and a bunch of other Americans, do not represent all of the US. Some of us are trying to do our part in reducing the spread and trying to save lives. While others lick toilet seats and stuff.

I can't say what the percentage of the country is this or that but I can say that one side is being louder than the other.

We know that stewi0001, but a lot of your fellow country men act like psycros described. They also comment like spoiled brats "mah constitutional rights". Sure buddy, let's also jail you for murder or conspiracy to commit one if we can somewhat prove that a person you had a hand in infecting dies or almost dies. That's also a the law.
I am absolutely against forced isolation and quarantine like my government is doing (everyone hates them but pensioners and stupid people), but it is giving results, unlike building hoard immunity in 1800s.

Yes, having casually followed the Gates Foundation reports from time to time, I certainly do think BG is much more knowledgeable and qualified on population-level health issues than Musk, as well as having spent considerably more of his own time and money on saving lives. The combined impact of the programs he's funded is estimated to have saved many millions of lives.

Yes, having casually followed the Gates Foundation reports from time to time, I certainly do think BG is much more knowledgeable and qualified on population-level health issues than Musk, as well as having spent considerably more of his own time and money on saving lives. The combined impact of the programs he's funded is estimated to have saved many millions of lives.

I don't think you have to have someone like BG tell you his views.
Working out how many people the planet can sustain takes a freaking pie chart.
Land mass, resources, people.
This crisis has sent us back to living as if it is the 80's, except we have better access to cocaine through the classes.
Not so many cars on roads, and less flights and look at the skies.
We can not go back to how we currently live.

And Elon can go suck a fat one from his fancy food filled palace, all safe.
Electric cars, are a pointless, waste of time. He probably knows this, but still wasting resources on crap cars, and electric ones at that, that will not do any good, whatsoever. But at least it funds a space mission.

If he finds a new home for this stupid species to ruin, well we can forgive him then. Otherwise he should hush down until then.

Isn't this the same guy who was happy to build a car company based on each luxury car he sold getting a huge subsidy from the government? So in effect he's fine when the government requires each citizen to help pay for his cars, but not when that same government requires each citizen to take reasonable precautions towards not spreading an epidemic?

While he did take advantage of that, he is far from the reason said program exists in the first place... Try going back 15 years.

I don't think you have to have someone like BG tell you his views.
Working out how many people the planet can sustain takes a freaking pie chart.
Land mass, resources, people.
This crisis has sent us back to living as if it is the 80's, except we have better access to cocaine through the classes.
Not so many cars on roads, and less flights and look at the skies.
We can not go back to how we currently live.

And Elon can go suck a fat one from his fancy food filled palace, all safe.
Electric cars, are a pointless, waste of time. He probably knows this, but still wasting resources on crap cars, and electric ones at that, that will not do any good, whatsoever. But at least it funds a space mission.

If he finds a new home for this stupid species to ruin, well we can forgive him then. Otherwise he should hush down until then.

EVERY genius that contributed to mankind had bad ideas and weird opinions about some stuff along side the good ones. And almost every (if not every) invention or idea made for good has been used to do bad too.

Expecting someone to be right all the time about everything, well, that's just insane. Push it far enough and you will find yourself disagreeing with yourself at some point.

For those of you not in the US, please note that Elon Musk, and a bunch of other Americans, do not represent all of the US. Some of us are trying to do our part in reducing the spread and trying to save lives. While others lick toilet seats and stuff.

I can't say what the percentage of the country is this or that but I can say that one side is being louder than the other.

I commend you for this.

This pandemic has brought out the stupid out of alot of people its pretty embarrassing. But the virus is also cleaning the stupid out of the population so some would say its not totally all bad.

Elon Musk earned $2,284,044,884 in 2019. I bet that 30% paycut he's on is really hurting him...

Alot of Musk's wealth is tied into his companies and how well they are doing. So it not as cut and dry as googling his net worth for 2019. But yes he is rich he is not affected as much as a regular joe.

It may not hurt him, but I've got a friend that lost this bussiness over this, been running a thrift store for 15 years, they got shut as non essential and couldn't make rent. They are locked out and are going to loose 15 years worth of hard work. That's what this lockdown is doing.

It may not hurt him, but I've got a friend that lost this bussiness over this, been running a thrift store for 15 years, they got shut as non essential and couldn't make rent. They are locked out and are going to loose 15 years worth of hard work. That's what this lockdown is doing.
Shame that,, in the UK all rentals are frozen residential and commercial and you can furlough your staff and the government will pay 80% of their pay,,

If this virus is as viralent as it's supposed to be, then it's likely already in everyone's homes. Who's going to wipe down everything they buy?

And why is Elon complaining he has men building his Starship 4 and 5 live on yotoob and they don't seem to be social distancing while building these spacecraft ..lol

Back