Email Clients Not Working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJediSlayer

Hello,

I recently had my Dell reconfigured so that it went back to it's factory standards that it came to me in. Basically, All my hdd information was wiped with the exception of any already installed factory programs like Windows XP etc.

Anyways, after I had done this and got my computer back up and running. I couldn't get both of my email clients to work. They are Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Thunderbird worked before I reset the computer back to it's factory defaults. Now, however, it won't work.

I get an error from both clients basically telling me that the password was refused by the servers that I tried to connect to. I used two separate email addresses to try and connect to two separate POP servers. (Note; I only added two separate email addresses on the Thunderbird client.)

I thought that it may have been the host file, but I removed the host file from the WINDOWS folder and still continued to get the same errors. I then tried turning off my Windows firewall and that didn't work either. I allowed both clients on the exception list on the firewall, and I even turned on the email client settings in the start - control panel - security center - Windows Firewall - and clicked the advanced tab and hit the settings button next to Local Area Connections.

Basically, I'm stumped as to what the problem is. I thought it might of been my router, but I don't think so as I don't believe it's been changed recently. I believe it's my computer too and not just some closed port. Like I said, it worked yesterday, just now it's not cooperating. Any help in this manner would be much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tyler

P.S. I don't believe there's any malware or anything else that would be preventing the email clients from working, as I have just already reset my computer back to it's factory defaults. This is the first time that I can remember this happening like this.

Did Thunderbird come with the laptop out of the factory? :p

Obviously the machine is not at factory defaults anymore and even 30 seconds online without a firewall is enogh to get yourself infected..

Anyway.. Are you sure you are putting in the right username and password? Some servers lock your user account if you try with a wrong pass too many times or try to connect too often. Try your accounts from another computer and make sure that they are working.

Did you configure your e-mail clients to do secure connections? Your servers may require or refuse SSL.

I am sure I am putting in the right username and password. I have even successfully logged into the online webmail for both email accounts. I've tried allowing and disallowing SSL.

Do you happen to have any security software in addition to Widows firewall? Many of them do e-mail scanning, which means intercepting all POP3, IMAP and SMTP sessions.

Maybe try a manual POP3 session and post the results here?
http://www.pantz.org/software/pop3/pop3telnet.html
You should obfuscate passwords and other sensitive information before posting stuff!

I received the following error:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Higgins>telnet pop-server.woh.rr.com
Connecting To pop-server.woh.rr.com...Could not open connection to the host, on
port 23: Connect failed

C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Higgins>
C:\Documents and Settings\Tyler Higgins>

Hello, sorry about that one. Here it is:

+OK AVG POP3 Proxy Server 7.5.494/7.5.503 [269.15.20/1108]
user username stargatexmas@woh.rr.com
-ERR Unknown command, try again.
user stargatexmas@woh.rr.com
+OK password required for user stargatexmas@woh.rr.com
pass ****************
-ERR Authentication failed
list
-ERR invalid command
retr 1
-ERR Unknown command, try again.

Edit:
The password IS correct. I know that for a fact because I am able to login to the online version of this email account.

See the first line? It says "AVG POP3 proxy". Your AVG antivirus or firewall is intercepting e-mail traffic and obviously screwing up big time.

Disable this silly feature - I am yet to see an antivirus program that can do e-mail and web traffic scanning properly without breaking stuff.

I disabled the built in email plugin feature for AVG Anti-Virus and some other things, but still managed to not get in. Here it is:

+OK Messaging Multiplexor (iPlanet Messaging Server 5.2 HotFix 2.10 (built Dec 2
6 2005))
user ????????????@??????.com
+OK password required for user ??????????@???????.com
pass ***********-ERR Authentication failed

Could this have anything to do at all with my HOST file? It's from here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm I've been using this host file and all the updates associated with it for what seems like six months now.

I doubt it.. You can always rename your hosts file to something else and see if it makes a difference.

Are you sure you have to log in using the full e-mail address? Maybe you need only the part before the @ sign as the username. Maybe give your e-mail service provider a call?

PS
I changed the e-mail address in your post just in case it is your real one

I think it's on my end. I'm not sure why the password keeps getting rejected from the servers. Both of my email accounts continue to get their passwords rejected by the servers. (Note: These are different servers. Not from the same email servers.)

I've also tried talking to one of my email account providers. They say it's with my email client, but I know that's probably not the case.

I have also tried your way of leaving out the @ and only adding in the username before that. Still won't work when it gets to the password. The servers will recognize the user, but not the password.

I use the correct RR email servers, but still it continues to not work for me. Also, I have another email account that uses a different email server, so I'm guessing it's got to be on my end. Ty for the help so far though.

Hello, my connection seems to have magically fixed itself and I along with it have gotten the other stuff to work now. Thank-you both for the help and support.

Strange isn't it when that happens? You may never know what the problem was, but happily it's gone., hopefully never to return. Thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back