Email cloning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andoyan

I had a very strange thing happening to me, I made a sub-mail with Verizon, The email is used on line only I have it set up on my laptop but rarely I use it since i open it on line and write the massages on line as well, well my son is in a soccer team and for the month of june we are suppose to travel to a city for a weekend tournament, the gal in charge of reserving the room sent everyone on the team a massage asking who is going and to let her know. That massage came to me in the morning, that afternoon after speaking with my wife I answered her that yes we are going. Well that afternoon when my wife took our son to practice the girl approached my wife and showed her an email that I allegedly I sent her, The Email had profanity, on it which of corse I did not sent to her she also shoed my wife the email I sent,
My question is how can someone copy my email and sent it out, when I checked my sent box both emails were there I called verizon and they were clueless!! can some one explain how that could be, I know for 110% that no one had access to my computer and could not have sent it out through here.
thanks
for any help

Is the person that received the message in your list of contacts? Or would you have to manually add the name in to send them mail?

You would be shocked if you knew how many home computers are currently hacked and used as botnets

I am not an expert but I believe you must have a virus. Even if not, it's a good thing to check for. Make sure you have virus protection and it's up to date. Run it! There are also sites on the internet that will check your machine for you. Google "virus check" (with quotes) and select any of the top returned: McAfee, Symantec, ZoneAlarm.

If you do not have protection on your machine get some. You should have a firewall, malware, ad (optional), and virus protection. Buy some or download some free from the internet.

See this link for information on the Nimda virus. They make specific recommendations and whether or not you have that virus, I would suggest following them.
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2001-091816-3508-99

Some good suggestions there. Except I really don't like Norton at all. After fixing so many machines that thought they were protected.

I agree that you should check your computer for infection and make sure you have an active firewall - Zone Alarm or Comodo are great free solutions. As far as an anti-virus I recommend Avira Antivir another great free solution.

If you want to be sure about it - please follow these Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and post back in this thread with the requested logs. There should be at least 3.

1)MBAM or SAS log
2)Combofix log
3)Hijackthis log (Step 15)

Step one in using an email distribution list is to NOT USE the To or CC lines, but
rather use the BCC. Each user will see an email that appears as if they were the only person
sent that message even thought there were many BCC correspondents.
This technique hides everyone except YOU and the BCC person from all others.

One problem with Yahoo and Gmail is these email systems are known around the
world and as a professional programmer I can tell you it takes very little know-how
to FORGE anyones email address and thus use your account to spam or do worse
as you just discovered.

Suggest you abandon (better yet cancel / delete it so that you stop being
blamed
) that email address and acquire another as once the account
has been forged, there's now means to defend against more of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back