Enough for 8800GT?

I have ECS 945GCT-M3 Motherboard. Intel 2160 Duel Core (1.8) cpu. 600w power supply. 2 gigs ram. I ran a 8600gt for about 2 years until it broke. I wanted to replace it with a 8800gt but didn't know if I had the requirements. I wasn't trying to play anything state of the art on it. Just wondering even at medium settings no overclocking, or anything if it would be okay on my system? Thanks for all your help I've been reading tons of information about it. I was just going to get another 8600gt or the Ati equivelant if an 8800gt would not work.

Edit:
Just noticed it was pci-express 2.0 which my motherboard does not support. Anyone have a tip on best Ati card I could use that dosen't need 2.0?

Thanks for all your help I've been reading tons of information about it. I was just going to get another 8600gt or the best Ati that would work on my system.

Rosewill has improved its build quality since '08 HK...still not a Corsair or Antec, but a lot better.

I actually thought that an 8800GT would run on a "real" 400 watt PSU, or thereabouts. Like an Antec 430 maybe?

OK, if the OP doesn't have any idea what an 8800GT should or would draw, why compare it to something else, where there's no frame of reference?

I just wasn't really planning on saying anything particularly relevant until getting more detailed information on the powersupply, after all, i'll probably end up changing my recommendation depending on his powersupply.
With a $200 budget max, i'm thinking the real limitations are going to be his powersupply and processor. I believe a GTX460 may not be proportionate with a 1.8ghz core2duo in most situations, and it is questionable weather his powersupply would support it. Based on just CPU and price, i'd say a 5750 is a good estimate, but theres the powersupply too.

I don't think anything I say ATM is going to be that useful anyway. Also, I definitely don't think an 8800gt would be a good choice, those are hard to find now. If anything, a successor like a GT240 would be better...

Also, I definitely don't think an 8800gt would be a good choice, those are hard to find now. If anything, a successor like a GT240 would be better...
Although, with a GT 240, he'd actually need less of a PSU, not more. Newegg has been offering a couple different brands of those for 60 to 70 bucks.

If you're willing to wait for the rebate, here's your card; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133306

I'm pretty sure PNY wouldn't stiff you for it. All this with free shipping.

Considering the specs (and age) of this system, I think Captain's recommendation of GTS240 should just about be sufficient for whatever the OP is doing, because IMO stuffing anything even 'reasonably priced' (i.e. over 100$ range) is not going to make much significant difference on this machine.

Actually I can't take full credit fo the GT 240 recommendation, HK was on board with that. However, if you go for the one I linked, you'll end up spending 45 dollars total for the upgrade.

Taking into account the age of the PSU in the machine, it could probably stand being replaced. But that should be a matter of no more than 50 or sixty dollars. So,the OP would only sinking about a hundred into the computer. In view of the age and capability of the machine, that's about the correct cash outlay.

Back