Epic Games is laying off nearly 900 employees, and selling Bandcamp

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In a nutshell: Epic Games has confirmed plans to lay off around 830 employees, or roughly 16 percent of the company's workforce. In an e-mail sent to employees that was also shared online, Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeny said they've been spending more money than they earn for a while now. He hoped they'd be able to weather the storm by implementing measures like net zero hiring and reducing their marketing budget. In retrospect, Sweeny said, this hope was unrealistic.

Most of the job cuts – about two-thirds – impact teams outside of core development units. In fact, Epic is not cutting any core businesses. The labor reduction could impact some product shipment schedules, but it is a trade-off they can accept if it means Epic will still be able to eventually achieve its goals of getting to the other side of profitability and becoming a leading metaverse company.

Epic is also divesting Bandcamp, the audio distribution it acquired in March 2022. Bandcamp will be joining music marketplace Songtradr, we are told. Furthermore, Epic Games will be spinning off most of SuperAwesome, which it picked up in 2020.

Around 250 of the job cuts involve Bandcamp and SuperAwesome staffers.

Sweeny said that having to say goodbye to folks that helped build Epic is terrible, but was thankful they are in a position to support laid off employees. Epic Games is offering a severance package that includes six months of base pay plus six months of paid healthcare for those in the US, Canada, and Brazil. The company will also accelerate stock option vesting schedules through the end of 2024, and will provide two additional years from today to exercise the options. Career transition services and visa support will also be available where applicable.

Epic confirmed that no additional layoffs are in the works, and that the announced changes will financially stabilize their business. Hiring for critical roles will continue, but Epic plans to mostly stick with its new size structure for a while.

Permalink to story.

Oh, great. The *****s who ruined Bandcamp for a lot of good musician are selling to another of those "I can't spell but this looks cool" companies. What could possible go wrong with that?.......

Geez, I didn't even know they bought up Bandcamp :( I wish Epic all the worst, seriously. Horrible company, even worse leadership. Sweeney can take it all up his ....

Meanwhile, remember folks, always claim each and every free Epic game, because it all costs them money. The sooner they get the f out of this business, the better.

Honestly....Just charge more for your games OR spend less and create better content

It seems that handing out bags of money exclusivity deals and free keys wasn't that "profitable". I don't support cancer so I'll probably never install and use their store.

Nobody in my circle likes the Epic Games Store because it's garbage, terrible functionality, unfinished look, no significant upgrades in recent time. I am not surprised to hear about layoffs...

I hope their business will continue to get better, we need to have a proper game engine and as well a competition to steam - gog is not enough.
Competition is when you make a proper competing product, not when you pay for third party exclusivity deals. That's the opposite of competition.

People would have flocked to their store if they just went with the "we don't charge 30%" good guy slogan. Instead they brought the same console cancer to PC because they knew they have a bad product and instantly made Steam the good guy.

Competition is when you make a proper competing product, not when you pay for third party exclusivity deals. That's the opposite of competition.

People would have flocked to their store if they just went with the "we don't charge 30%" good guy slogan. Instead they brought the same console cancer to PC because they knew they have a bad product and instantly made Steam the good guy.
You highly overestimated people good will in going to the competitor stores without a high incentive, and fully forgot how rocky was introduction of Steam (valve vs sierra) and how big impact on the gaming market Valve had, becoming de facto a full monopoly with whom biggest publishers like EA or Ubisoft were unable to compete. How many online stores apart of amazon you frequently use?
Steam is full of exclusive games, years after Epic came to the store front market. I, as consumer, have no choice but to go to Steam in order to get many titles. In addition, most customers won't care about competition. Many of them do not want to diverse their libraries across few stores even, if there are benefits to that BECAUSE Steam have monopolistic position and is considered the only place for PC gaming. People do not care about DRM free games, they do not care about developer getting better cut for their work, only for their own convenience. That is why we have no real choice in search engine, nor in operating systems, and so on.
That is why I consider exclusivity for some titles necessary evil to actually being able to compete. No one would go to epic for anything except fortnite, same, as noone wanted to use Steam back in 2003 for anything except half life. Steam made agreements with publishers to take off physical copies of games, publishers enjoyed option of not having to pay for dvd's production and limiting people sharing games, and customers had no option to react.
And the main issue with Epic exclusivity was exactly the fact people didn't want to use anything else than Steam. They didn't care about 'renting' games, ancient UI, huge cut. They only cared about 'not having to install another launcher'.
Steam has bring more than just 'console cancer'. They renting games playable by one person only (family access is a biggest scam ever), killed physical way before Internet was accessible enough to handle that transition, and have highest number of exclusive titles on single platform, probably even highest than consoles.
I hope Epic and GoG will be going strong and maybe, just maybe, at some point in a future we will have real competition. Anything GoG/Epic is willing to use for promotion, as long as they are underdogs, seems fine for me.

You highly overestimated people good will in going to the competitor stores without a high incentive, and fully forgot how rocky was introduction of Steam (valve vs sierra) and how big impact on the gaming market Valve had, becoming de facto a full monopoly with whom biggest publishers like EA or Ubisoft were unable to compete. How many online stores apart of amazon you frequently use?
Steam is full of exclusive games, years after Epic came to the store front market. I, as consumer, have no choice but to go to Steam in order to get many titles. In addition, most customers won't care about competition. Many of them do not want to diverse their libraries across few stores even, if there are benefits to that BECAUSE Steam have monopolistic position and is considered the only place for PC gaming. People do not care about DRM free games, they do not care about developer getting better cut for their work, only for their own convenience. That is why we have no real choice in search engine, nor in operating systems, and so on.
That is why I consider exclusivity for some titles necessary evil to actually being able to compete. No one would go to epic for anything except fortnite, same, as noone wanted to use Steam back in 2003 for anything except half life. Steam made agreements with publishers to take off physical copies of games, publishers enjoyed option of not having to pay for dvd's production and limiting people sharing games, and customers had no option to react.
And the main issue with Epic exclusivity was exactly the fact people didn't want to use anything else than Steam. They didn't care about 'renting' games, ancient UI, huge cut. They only cared about 'not having to install another launcher'.
Steam has bring more than just 'console cancer'. They renting games playable by one person only (family access is a biggest scam ever), killed physical way before Internet was accessible enough to handle that transition, and have highest number of exclusive titles on single platform, probably even highest than consoles.
I hope Epic and GoG will be going strong and maybe, just maybe, at some point in a future we will have real competition. Anything GoG/Epic is willing to use for promotion, as long as they are underdogs, seems fine for me.
"Steam is full of exclusive games" - that's 100% wrong. Steam has no exclusivity deals with any developer.

The vast majority of games I bought were not from the steam store. I always look for the best deal and it's more often than not, not on Steam (for every steam game, I buy 20-30 outside of steam, devs love to sell keys on other stores). And I'm talking about hundreds or thousands of games: my steam library alone has over 400, on gog 120, on amazon god knows how many hundreds because I also have twitch prime, plus keys that didn't go into my steam library from humble, fanatical, gmg, origin, etc etc.

It's very hypocritical to say that you want to buy from other stores and then say that you are supporting epic's store. It makes no sense. How am I going to find the best deal if it's just on Epic's store? That's not competition, it's just cancer.

"the main issue with Epic exclusivity was exactly the fact people didn't want to use anything else than Steam" - that's 100% wrong. the main issue is that they have exclusivity deals that lock ppl in a much worse platform. and instead of improving said platform they went and spent so much money of exclusivity deals and "free" games that they had to fire people now. they spent $500 mil in 2020.

tl;dr Why are you supporting cancer?

Last edited:
I'd rather this happen to EA. Their desktop app still has only basic functionality. No way to even move a game to another drive, no FPS counter to name a few.
Customer service is a mess too. I know, I've tried.

I'm not sure about Epic. Managed to get some excellent AAA games for free on occasion, but I would rather not use their platform.

Regardless Steam will always stay no. 1 if they keep doing what they are doing. GOG comes in at number 2, the best place for older games and no DRM

"Steam is full of exclusive games" - that's 100% wrong. Steam has no exclusivity deals with any developer.

The vast majority of games I bought were not from the steam store. I always look for the best deal and it's more often than not, not on Steam (for every steam game, I buy 20-30 outside of steam, devs love to sell keys on other stores). And I'm talking about hundreds or thousands of games: my steam library alone has over 400, on gog 120, on amazon god knows how many hundreds because I also have twitch prime, plus keys that didn't go into my steam library from humble, fanatical, gmg, origin, etc etc.

It's very hypocritical to say that you want to buy from other stores and then say that you are supporting epic's store. It makes no sense. How am I going to find the best deal if it's just on Epic's store? That's not competition, it's just cancer.

"the main issue with Epic exclusivity was exactly the fact people didn't want to use anything else than Steam" - that's 100% wrong. the main issue is that they have exclusivity deals that lock ppl in a much worse platform. and instead of improving said platform they went and spent so much money of exclusivity deals and "free" games that they had to fire people now. they spent $500 mil in 2020.

tl;dr Why are you supporting cancer?
Why are you supporting monopoly?

Thing is very simple. Steam have large number of games available _exclusively_ on their platform. Do you need any bigger proof of monopoly than developers not considering other platforms as they are not considered competitive enough to make worthy of a simple game submission submission (even with 200%-300% bigger cut on Steam part)? Do you not consider Microsoft Windows a desktop PC OS monopoly knowing 99% games have no version on other operating systems? yes, if content creator do not consider competing platforms it _is_ a monopoly. Do not support that cancer.

How is a Epic or GoG worse platform? There is nothing 'worse' there except lower number of games. You're getting often much better deals on epic than on Steam. And sure, you have some exclusive titles on Epic, but much more of games are exclusive to Steam, period. I buy everything I can on GoG as this allow me to actually own the game and as well have a proper return policy. But I am unable to find there many interesting titles due to direct effect of Steam monopoly. And it is enough to check the revenue of GoG vs Steam to see how many people using that store without some exclusive deals. GoG with all the benefits is provides is at a loss, when Steam have 10 billions revenue. This surely doesn't ring the bell and surely have nothing to do with being a monopoly, huh.

In this case, yet again, Steam is worse offender. Epic's exclusivity is timed only. Steam's exclusivity is timeless. It is a monopoly, so there is no incentive for diversify store fronts. This is the worst kind of exclusivity - self applied one, for which steam do not even have to pay.

There is no way to break monopoly without heavy investment. MS is trying with Bing for years putting billions in promotions and agreements. That is biggest company in the world and they cant break Google monopoly even, if they are monopoly in number of areas and biggest company in the world. I do not mind timed exclusivity agreements made by a small company in order to change PC gaming monopoly market, and I'm rooting for them to success. I'm more surprised to see people who are keeping with company, who break numerous agreement to take over digital distribution, destroyed physical distribution, and become the only significant player on that market.

Why are you supporting monopoly?

Thing is very simple. Steam have large number of games available _exclusively_ on their platform. Do you need any bigger proof of monopoly than developers not considering other platforms as they are not considered competitive enough to make worthy of a simple game submission submission (even with 200%-300% bigger cut on Steam part)? Do you not consider Microsoft Windows a desktop PC OS monopoly knowing 99% games have no version on other operating systems? yes, if content creator do not consider competing platforms it _is_ a monopoly. Do not support that cancer.

How is a Epic or GoG worse platform? There is nothing 'worse' there except lower number of games. You're getting often much better deals on epic than on Steam. And sure, you have some exclusive titles on Epic, but much more of games are exclusive to Steam, period. I buy everything I can on GoG as this allow me to actually own the game and as well have a proper return policy. But I am unable to find there many interesting titles due to direct effect of Steam monopoly. And it is enough to check the revenue of GoG vs Steam to see how many people using that store without some exclusive deals. GoG with all the benefits is provides is at a loss, when Steam have 10 billions revenue. This surely doesn't ring the bell and surely have nothing to do with being a monopoly, huh.

In this case, yet again, Steam is worse offender. Epic's exclusivity is timed only. Steam's exclusivity is timeless. It is a monopoly, so there is no incentive for diversify store fronts. This is the worst kind of exclusivity - self applied one, for which steam do not even have to pay.

There is no way to break monopoly without heavy investment. MS is trying with Bing for years putting billions in promotions and agreements. That is biggest company in the world and they cant break Google monopoly even, if they are monopoly in number of areas and biggest company in the world. I do not mind timed exclusivity agreements made by a small company in order to change PC gaming monopoly market, and I'm rooting for them to success. I'm more surprised to see people who are keeping with company, who break numerous agreement to take over digital distribution, destroyed physical distribution, and become the only significant player on that market.
"Why are you supporting monopoly?" - read again where I buy my games from and tell me to my face that I'm supporting a "monopoly".

"There is no way to break monopoly without heavy investment." - investing into cancer is not the way. they could have simply invested into better prices and in pro consumer/pro devs marketing. it would have been cheaper and better in the long term (but they wanted rapid short term gains instead of healthy growth).

"How is a Epic or GoG worse platform?" - I never said gog is worse (I have 120 games on it), I said Epic is worse and this is a fact that even Epic fanboys don't deny.

When Epic started talking about their new store I was the first to praise them and was ecstatic at the possibility of buying cheaper games or supporting the devs more. That's until they started paying for exclusivity deals and brought the same cancer I saw on consoles. And it only got worse over time despite the huge backlash.

I support new stores, I don't support cancer. I don't need to and don't want to accept anti-consumer practices just so that we get another online store on the market.

"Why are you supporting monopoly?" - read again where I buy my games from and tell me to my face that I'm supporting a "monopoly".

"There is no way to break monopoly without heavy investment." - investing into cancer is not the way. they could have simply invested into better prices and in pro consumer/pro devs marketing. it would have been cheaper and better in the long term (but they wanted rapid short term gains instead of healthy growth).

"How is a Epic or GoG worse platform?" - I never said gog is worse (I have 120 games on it), I said Epic is worse and this is a fact that even Epic fanboys don't deny.

When Epic started talking about their new store I was the first to praise them and was ecstatic at the possibility of buying cheaper games or supporting the devs more. That's until they started paying for exclusivity deals and brought the same cancer I saw on consoles. And it only got worse over time despite the huge backlash.

I support new stores, I don't support cancer. I don't need to and don't want to accept anti-consumer practices just so that we get another online store on the market.
Do you support monopoly?
Do you consider monopoly a cancer?
Are you aware Steam is a monopoly?
Do you support Steam?
If platform A have 100 times more exclusive content than platform B, which platform is more limiting?

Seems you are supporting cancer, just of a few magnitude higher than Epic is.

now. Epic have to pay for exclusive content. Steam is using monopolistic position to get higher number of exclusive content for free. What is worse?
GoG generates loss with better customer policy. Steam generates profit with much worse customer policy, just because have a monopoly.
I see only one cancer - Steam. My opinion is clear, yours as well, thanks for discussion.

Do you support monopoly?
Do you consider monopoly a cancer?
Are you aware Steam is a monopoly?
Do you support Steam?
If platform A have 100 times more exclusive content than platform B, which platform is more limiting?

Seems you are supporting cancer, just of a few magnitude higher than Epic is.

now. Epic have to pay for exclusive content. Steam is using monopolistic position to get higher number of exclusive content for free. What is worse?
GoG generates loss with better customer policy. Steam generates profit with much worse customer policy, just because have a monopoly.
I see only one cancer - Steam. My opinion is clear, yours as well, thanks for discussion.
"What is worse?" - Epic is worse. It's not even close. It is objectively worse and thankfully Valve and other stores ignored EPS and didn't join the cancer that is paying for exclusivity deals.

As for GOG, it's profitable. It posted a loss in 2021 because of how badly Cyberpunk did when it launched and because they were investing in multiple other things (and because they were part of the Gwen consortium from which they separated shortly after).

"Steam is using monopolistic position to get higher number of exclusive content for free" - there are no exclusivity deals between Steam and any game dev. And you can find the vast majority of the games on steam in other stores since the devs are free to sell keys without sharing the revenue with Valve.

"Do you support monopoly?" - obviously not, but you don't actually care and didn't even read what I wrote. it's exactly what I would expect from people who think that the epic store is a "necessary evil".

It's not necessary, it's just evil. They aren't even trying to take market away from Steam, they are only hurting other smaller stores like gog or humble. It's the usual MO of big companies trying to crush small companies. And here you are yelling "competition" not even understanding what is happening in the market and why exclusivity deals are so bad.

Dude, after the first week or two, nobody is making any good profit once the exclusivity dies (if it ever dies). That's when the majority of sales happen. This does not hurt Steam at all (it actually continued to grow), they have the bank to ignore Epic. This is hurting the smaller stores who can't get in on the early sales profits.

"but but mah competition!"

Last edited:
Is Steam a monopoly? It sells and takes a cut of many big companies, and also Indi.
There is a lot competition in the games market.
If say, MS bought out all game companies that would be a monopoly.

Steam is an interface, and it's by far the best one there ever has been.
If EA and Epic ceased to exist, then Steam would be pretty much the only way to install and by digital software/games.

Or we could go back to DISKS. Again disks cannot be a monopoly.

So I am more than happy to stay with Steam.

I am not going to debate the monopoly thing enough has been said. But I hope gaming Studios compete intensley, MS is probably going to acquire Activision. I bet they will buy out as many as possible. Then we would have true monopoly. One company and Indie making games.
MS could price as it likes. Not much reason for them to create new levels of game greatness either IF they, or any other ONE gaming company ran the whole show.

Luckily that's unlikely to happen. Anti monopoly laws have made it hard for MS to acquire Activision. They won't get away with buying up more (if they tried to)

But can you imagine a government telling a distributer, in this case Steam, to make there platform worse because most people like them best. (and for good reason). Steam have not tried to take over or buy out EA or Epic, or any others.

Steam isn't perfect, but I thing they do a great job. I use them because they are by far the best in many ways. Monopoly doesn't apply to their business model. Simply they offer the best service. Gamers are free to choose which platform they like best.

"Steam is using monopolistic position to get higher number of exclusive content for free" - there are no exclusivity deals between Steam and any game dev. And you can find the vast majority of the games on steam in other stores since the devs are free to sell keys without sharing the revenue with Valve.

Dude, you can hate Epic and its store all day long 7 days a week but you're ignoring a blaring fact that the other guy has brought up several times already (basically acting as a Steam/Valve fanboy/fangirl): Steam has a "de facto" monopoly on PC gaming. You can look around all you want, with all those games in all the other stores, but ask yourself this:
- How many games can ONLY be accessed through the Steam library and nowhere else? (the definition of "exclusivity")

BTW, it doesn't matter "where" you buy "the stuff", what matters are the requirements to run it. You could say that you "own" The Sims 4 in Steam, for example, and that might be "technically" correct, but what you own is an Origin (now EA) game: you REQUIRE the EA app (previously Origin) to run it. And I'm pretty sure the entitlement leaks (the only thing that Steam is providing in this case), meaning that you could uninstall Steam and run it from the EA app.

Once you're done with that list, you could ask the follow up question:
- Why did the devs chose such exclusivity arrangement?
The point that @dangh is making is that most of the time such exclusivity is self imposed: the devs ONLY release to Steam because they perceive that it would gave them the most exposure (and revenue) with the least effort/cost. I've never done it myself but it would be safe to assume that it's harder to "support" different "stores" than to marry to "the one". In that sense, Valve has a lot of "exclusives for free".

You could see a similar situation with "Windows exclusivity": there are a lot of "apps" (software "solutions", executables, bundles, whatever-is-that-you-want-to-name-them) that are only available in Windows; if you have a Mac or, god forbid, a Linux box you're out of luck. Most of the time Microsoft didn't sign any deal with the developers, they just happen to use Windows, the potential customers happen to use Windows, or both. Apple have tried to push with its weight to change this, but it's still painfully obvious that the situation hasn't change substantially. The Linux situation is even worse: the perception is that there's no money to be made there, apparently. This is a chicken and egg problem: the devs don't release to Mac or Linux because there are "no users" there, and the users don't move to Mac or Linux because there's no version released there (you could probably apply the same logic to Steam vs competition).

The OS gaming monopoly point is even harder to argue with, just check your Steam library on a Mac or Linux box and scroll over the "non-playable here" list (spoiler alert: probably most of it)

Dude, you can hate Epic and its store all day long 7 days a week but you're ignoring a blaring fact that the other guy has brought up several times already (basically acting as a Steam/Valve fanboy/fangirl): Steam has a "de facto" monopoly on PC gaming. You can look around all you want, with all those games in all the other stores, but ask yourself this:
- How many games can ONLY be accessed through the Steam library and nowhere else? (the definition of "exclusivity")

BTW, it doesn't matter "where" you buy "the stuff", what matters are the requirements to run it. You could say that you "own" The Sims 4 in Steam, for example, and that might be "technically" correct, but what you own is an Origin (now EA) game: you REQUIRE the EA app (previously Origin) to run it. And I'm pretty sure the entitlement leaks (the only thing that Steam is providing in this case), meaning that you could uninstall Steam and run it from the EA app.

Once you're done with that list, you could ask the follow up question:
- Why did the devs chose such exclusivity arrangement?
The point that @dangh is making is that most of the time such exclusivity is self imposed: the devs ONLY release to Steam because they perceive that it would gave them the most exposure (and revenue) with the least effort/cost. I've never done it myself but it would be safe to assume that it's harder to "support" different "stores" than to marry to "the one". In that sense, Valve has a lot of "exclusives for free".

You could see a similar situation with "Windows exclusivity": there are a lot of "apps" (software "solutions", executables, bundles, whatever-is-that-you-want-to-name-them) that are only available in Windows; if you have a Mac or, god forbid, a Linux box you're out of luck. Most of the time Microsoft didn't sign any deal with the developers, they just happen to use Windows, the potential customers happen to use Windows, or both. Apple have tried to push with its weight to change this, but it's still painfully obvious that the situation hasn't change substantially. The Linux situation is even worse: the perception is that there's no money to be made there, apparently. This is a chicken and egg problem: the devs don't release to Mac or Linux because there are "no users" there, and the users don't move to Mac or Linux because there's no version released there (you could probably apply the same logic to Steam vs competition).

The OS gaming monopoly point is even harder to argue with, just check your Steam library on a Mac or Linux box and scroll over the "non-playable here" list (spoiler alert: probably most of it)
"The point that @dangh is making is that most of the time such exclusivity is self imposed"- No its not. Dev just think it is easier to have their games on steam and then sell free keys on other stores, sales which steam doesn't take money for.

Epic allows devs to do the same with their keys, but it's not the same easy process. So instead of trying to match or beat Steam, they decided to add a bit of cancer to our lives by the way of exclusivity deals because it is "faster" growth in the short term. They first said that they'll reach profitability in 2024, now they are saying 2027 and I don't see them doing it by 2030, all the while they are squeezing small stores dry (not steam, smaller stores are the ones who suffer from these exclusivity deals).

The hate I'm giving Epic is justified a thousand fold.

For a consumer, choice of where to buy a game is what real competition looks like. Where you install it is different type of market and a different discussion. I saved literal thousands by checking for good deals on ALL of the big stores on PC and the vast majority of my games were not bough on steam's store. If games are limited to just Epic then I can't do that. It's both anti-competitive and it is anti-consumer, in other words it is cancer.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was gaming on my PC for long before any game client existed. (I'll leave consoles out of it.)
I am saying this because for the first year or so, I just couldn't trust the concept of digital downloads for games. Seems silly now, but then games came on disks. In fact no difference, disk or digital download. That will only have meaning for the older gamers.

Steam takes up to 30% of a games sale value (often less) so I think that's a bit high. But companies still wanted to use Steam directly without passing the cost to gamers.

The competition has always been between big rich game producers and developers.
I really think it' still the same. A vendor (Steam, Epic, EA) just can't be monopolies, they dont make the games we play.

Epic started off by having exclusive access to a big game (aargg can't remember the name) for a year. The hatred in the forums at Steam were over the top. Epic also only takes 10% of the sale value. But due to there practices of locking a game to it's platform only they started out as the company to hate. Most people said they would wait a year etc etc.

A year later that game arrived on Steam (with a full year of patches). It sold very well on Steam. More copies than Epic. Big fail, annoy gamers at set up of the company

It sounds to me that Epic were far too aggressive in their first year or so. They are guilty of unethical exclusivity. But despite the 30% cut Steam takes, vs. the reasonable 10% cut Epic take, devs know now to sell on Steam (and others) but Steam gets them the most sales. Also Epic has free games so why are they not as popular as Steam?

They had, and have a bad business model. So many people were furious and waited a year.

As a result of their really agressive steps to get into the market it left a very sour taste. Moreover they still are not popular. No big change overall Still looks the same. That's bias of course, but it is well deserved.

Personally I trust Steam, and like the whole interface and services that they offer. And still I don't find EPIC a pleasant platform. I don't hate it, but I don't like the client. Simple as that.

EA have earned my refusal to never use them again. That's for another time but I lost cash and got no C.S. They are terrible, and many say so.

Steam hasn't tried to get any hard locked exclusives as far as I know. Developers are free to choose which (including all) clients they trust to sell there games.

Steam is now the go to place for most gamers, who on occaision may check out EPIC or the terrible EA (I had bad problems with them) for a better deal or just a free game.

They have the most, by far gamers because the whole experience is better. EPIC is the only company (as far as I know) that started off with exclusivity.

Steam can't help it if most gamers prefer them. But it's a natural thing for customers to buy anything (not just games) from a retailer that they prefer.

Valve had put enormous effort into developing and still do for their Steam platform. They have a platform that is great. Cant say the same for Epic

Okay, my post is BORING so to finish I will set up a dubious metaphor. 😃

In a big city, there are only 4 Italian restaurunts. They are similarly priced.
For the most popular one the experience starts at reservation (they never over book) It really gets going when in the place with a very friendly and polite atmosphere. They care about their customers and offer a top class service, not limited to just the food.

So customers feel real comfortable and happy. Probably makes for a good evening experience.

The other three don't have great, just reasonable service. There food was similar quality to the top one at first.

The others thought they could save money by hiring only a few staff, and didn't create a pleasing, Place. Daft business practice.

As a result the best one gets more and more business. They invest profits back into the business, coming up with new dishes because they can afford to have enough staff for"research." Eventually one of the four is running at a loss. No one wants to go there anymore when they get a better experience at the best one. Plus they keep customers interested because they inovate and never let the whole customer experience drop. It gets better and better. More new exciting food,, I could go on but not necessary.

Even if the best one caused ALL the other 3 to go bankrupt, you can't say they have a monopoly. The market is wide open to new restaurants.

The best one ends up being the only one customers want to go to. They continue to invest, and may even open a second or third restaurant with the Promise of the same service.

All this time the market has been wide open to other companies. They end up having the whole market in imaginary city. But it is not a monopoly legally.- they got there without tricks and offered what customers want. So people went/go to their favourite. In legal terms the market is wide open

That's not their fault. It's through hard work, innovation etc etc that makes customers choose them. Can't tell customers only go there once every six months, or force the restaurant to degrade the lovely atmosphere, even the great and varied food they have worked up to.
I'm not sure if the very dubious Italian metaphor restaurants works really, mmm. :D:joy:

EPIC started off with a slap to gamers.(AAA game one year exclusive) They never stopped the minor tricks (a game that is free, but not really because only the base game is free. They have not improved their business. Most gamers have no reason to go there. They don't do the one year exclusives anymore (I think) as companies realize that it's bad for business, if they could still do it they probably would (opinion only).

They offer a sub par online store and don't change. Sure they do still offer some great deals (usually with a need to pay something in the end) Moreover for the last two years Steam have had some crazy good low prices. They have out done Epic at their own game.

Finally they sell games from many big medium and Indie devs).
Any monopoly would be by the actions of game devs. Not the vendor (Steam or other)
The market isn't locked up either.

Simply Steam have a good business model. Epic is becoming irrelevant, and possibly will shut down years a head. That's there fault. They have access to sell games from many big devs, but devs and customers avoid them more and more. That is not the fault of Steam.

Plus to say for the100th time, any monopoly would apply to the product, the game devs.
Not the vendors. People are free to shop where they want, and if any of these vendors are doing naughty stuff, it's not Steam.

Sorry about the length of this post, and the boring bits!!

Back