Epic Games launches new lawsuit against Apple over threat to Unreal Engine on iOS and Mac

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? The Epic Games vs. Apple (and Google) saga is getting nastier. Following Cupertino's decision to remove Fortnite from its App Store, the iPhone maker is preparing to "terminate" all of Epic's developer accounts and cut the company off from iOS and Mac developer tools. Epic says this would be catastrophic for its Unreal Engine business and has launched another lawsuit in response.

How did we find ourselves here? Last week, Epic silently pushed out an update for Fortnite on iOS and Android that introduced an alternative payment method—the Epic Direct Payment option. It allowed users to pay Epic directly for in-app purchases, bypassing the 30 percent cut taken by Apple and Google. This was good news for players, who got a 20 percent discount on purchases, but Apple wasn't too pleased. It removed the game from its store, leading to Epic suing the firm and seeking injunctive relief to end Apple's "unfair and anti-competitive actions." Hours later, Google also booted Fortnite from its Play Store, which resulted in another antitrust lawsuit from Epic.

Apple, obviously not happy about the whole situation, appears to have thrown a full-on tantrum. On August 28th, it will end Epic's involvement in the Apple Developer Program, of which membership is required to distribute apps on iOS devices or use Apple developer tools. Apple says this will happen if Epic does not "cure your breaches" to the agreement.

Epic says that cutting it off from development tools will affect software such as the Unreal Engine, which it offers to third-party developers. Epic says Unreal Engine has never violated any Apple policy, and without the tools, it cannot develop future versions of the software for iOS or Mac.

"Not content simply to remove Fortnite from the App Store, Apple is attacking Epic's entire business in unrelated areas," the most recent lawsuit states. "Left unchecked, Apple's actions will irreparably damage Epic's reputation among Fortnite users and be catastrophic for the future of the separate Unreal Engine business."

Epic is seeking preliminary injunctive relief, which it says is necessary to prevent its business from being irreparably harmed before a final judgment is reached. The company also asks that Fortnite be returned to the App Store with the direct payment option still in place.

In a statement to Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman regarding Epic’s developer account termination, Apple said:

The App Store is designed to be a safe and trusted place for users and a great business opportunity for all developers. Epic has been one of the most successful developers on the App Store, growing into a multibillion dollar business that reaches millions of iOS customers around the world. We very much want to keep the company as part of the Apple Developer Program and their apps on the Store. The problem Epic has created for itself is one that can be easily remedied if they submit an update of their app that reverts it to comply with the guidelines they agreed to and which apply to all developers. We won’t make an exception for Epic because we don’t think it’s right to put their business interests ahead of the guidelines that protect our customers.

Permalink to story.

And to think: none of this would be happening if not for Trump's anti-China trade war.

Apple will win.

$2 Trillion dollar companies with an army of lawyers don't lose.

And to think: none of this would be happening if not for Trump's anti-China trade war.

Apple will win.

I am suspecting whether Epic (Tencent 40%) is doing all this on purpose. The Apple's closed appstore market is just like China's closed market.
If Apple win, China could argue that US requesting China to open its market is nonsense.
If Apple lose, the US best company Apple may need to allow 3rd party appstore on iOS just like how Android is doing. Either case, China seems to be the winner. Epic games is just a chess on the gaming board.

Considering that Epic deliberately violated App Store policy, it’s no surprise that their developer accounts have been suspended.

Apple will win.

That... what.. no. That's not something that you should be happy about. I don't care if you have stock, you shouldn't be wanting/expecting the entity with the most money to win because they have money.

Last edited:
From my perspective, Apple is just digging a hole for themselves. Showing that they have a monopoly on their platform. And forcing Epic and Unreal Engine (and by extension all games built on UE) off if it so easily won't sit well in court.

And sure, they have a lower hardware market share than their competitors, but they're certainly big enough (2 trillion dollar company), and have enough reach (millions upon millions of customers) to warrant that their closed-walled platform is being anti competitive in a way that warrants attention.

That said, I'm sure Epic saw this coming. It's getting harder to say they're only in it for the money, considering the impact this could (and has) had so far (and how it could impact them if they lose)...

That... what.. no. That's not something that you should be happy about. I don't care if you have stock, you shouldn't be wanting/expecting the entity with the most money to win because they have money.

Maybe YOU have a different opinion, but I stand with Apple.

And that's just that.

Don’t feel sorry for Epic... while not as big as Apple, they’re plenty big and successful...
They knew what they were doing when they added their own payment option - they purposefully picked a fight with Apple..
They obviously think they can win - or strike a deal... I’d be surprised if this ever actually goes to court.

Obviously, if Unreal Engine stops being available for Mac games, this will impair the credibility of the Macintosh as a gaming platform. The only thing that stops this from being Apple shooting itself in the foot is that... the Macintosh didn't have that much credibility as a gaming platform to begin with, and, with its pathetic market share, isn't even all that profitable for Apple, iOS being where the money is.
This kind of behavior will make it easier to convince a court that Apple is violating antitrust law. But maybe not easy enoguh, maybe Apple will survive this. But it seems to me to be a very bad move on its part.

The question is: Does Apple need Epic more than Epic needs Apple?

I won't be surprised if in the end neither needs the other, and nothing happens more than lawyers get paid.

It’s Apple’s sandbox. If you don’t like it, take your ball and go home. Epic will not win this....

Microsoft lost because they appeared to be a closed system and had anti competitive practices with IE. Apples app store is no different except it is anti competitive. I hope apple looses,it's a win for the tech community, I have zero sympathy for apple. They strangle device repair, tried to copyright a rectangle.

Microsoft lost because they appeared to be a closed system and had anti competitive practices with IE. Apples app store is no different except it is anti competitive. I hope apple looses,it's a win for the tech community, I have zero sympathy for apple. They strangle device repair, tried to copyright a rectangle.
I understand why you want Apple to lose, but I wouldn't understand anyone who d want Epic to win. Very reach people fight over many customers making way way less money to pay them more.
And since I mentioned Epic, I sincerely believe Fortnight should be banned from selling in game good to anyone under 18. I d even go further and ban all the companies doing this to kids and those with mental problems who "treat" their problems by buying virtual turds.

I understand why you want Apple to lose, but I wouldn't understand anyone who d want Epic to win. Very reach people fight over many customers making way way less money to pay them more.
And since I mentioned Epic, I sincerely believe Fortnight should be banned from selling in game good to anyone under 18. I d even go further and ban all the companies doing this to kids and those with mental problems who "treat" their problems by buying virtual turds.
It is not just helping Epic to earn more. If Epic win the case by either making 3rd party payment possible or forcing Apple to allow 3rd party AppStore like Google, that means app developers could earn more by paying less to the platform. Just like how Epic opened its own PC store to compete against Steam and they only take ~10% percent instead of 30% from game developers.

People are need to look past who the company are and what their product are. The question here is not who is better product apple or epic. The question is if operating system maker getting total control over what app can go on operating system and if operating system maker should get fee for being allowed on their operating system. If goverments decide it ok, I am expect other operating system will doing this too and it will be end of app stores by 3rd party including Steam. Steam may be able to make own operating system, but most people are not wanting to have multiple operating system in order to save money on app and game purchase.

Of course. it would being very bad for your apple stock if they cannot exploiting anymore.

There are no permanent allies or enemies...only permanent interests.

As long as Apple makes me happy with products and stock appreciation, they have an ally in me.

Apple will win.

Having the best lawyers when you are bang out of order will not help you one jot. Epic has more than enough money to fight Apple's restrictive practices.

Just like how Epic opened its own PC store to compete against Steam and they only take ~10% percent instead of 30% from game developers.

Epic are anti-competitive, forcing people to pay their price or wait 6+ months because they have deliberately taken away people choice of where to buy some games isn't competing. Their are alot of other sellers out there apart from steam that cant sell the games either bacause of Epics greed are trying to force its platform on people.

Back