Error help - res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm

jaheck1

Hello I'm new to techspot and my browser is stuck on: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm - and will not do much else.

Do I need to get a logfile using Hijackthis - or where do I start?

Thank you, I appreciate anyone's time, advice and help on fixing this problem.

Welcome to TechSpot! Can you please describe what you mean by 'stuck on'?
Is this on startup?
Is it when you attempt to launch IE?
Can you do anything with the system?
Are you getting any error message- especially about 'permissions'?

There is malware that canc ause this

The computer seemed to boot up fine prior to a McAfee needed reboot, but then my MSN homepage loaded then switched to this system32...error. I am able to open hotmail and Excel fine and I already did a Malwarebytes scan and nothing was picked up. Any suggestions?

navcancl.htm means Navigation Cancelled - without knowing which OS you are running or which version of IE I am only guessing as to the possible solution.

shdoclc.dll is Shell Document Object and Control library -
It is used by Internet Explorer to store localized items such as menus, dialog boxes, and strings. Using Multilingual Menus and Dialog Boxes for Internet Explorer can cause this error.

See if this applies:
Navigation is canceled when you browse to Web pages that are in different Internet Explorer security zones:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967941

After you install security update 961260 (MS09-002) on a computer that is running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, you may experience a problem when you visit some Web pages that are in different Internet Explorer security zones.

This problem occurs if the navigation causes Protected Mode settings to change from On to Off.
This problem occurs because Internet Explorer 7 switches Protected Mode settings when certain Web pages are configured in the Trusted Sites area of the Security tab of the Internet Options dialog box. You can determine which Internet Explorer security zone a Web page is in by looking at the status bar at the bottom of the Internet Explorer 7 window.

By default, Protected Mode is set to Off for Web sites that are configured in the Trusted Sites area.

To resolve this problem, install the most current cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/963027/

I'm not sure what you mean by this or if it's part of the problem:
prior to a McAfee needed reboot

Please work through the update and see if it resolved the problem. I don't have enough information about your system to go any further at this point. This may just be a system problem caused by an update, so you need to try and resolve that first. You may have to move a Domain out of the Trusted Zone. Nothing needs to be put in the Trusted Zone. This zone has lower security settings.

If the above doesn't resolve the error, please give me information about your operating system and browser, to include version. We will check for malware if it appears to be the cause or part of the problem.

Hi Bobbye,
My updates appear to be current.
I'm running Windows XP Home and Internet Explorer 8.
Thanks.

Upon system restart...I'm also getting a Microsoft Works Calendar error...problem and needs to close, however I don"t knowingly use Works Calendar. Then when I try to open my MSN homepage I'm still getting dumped to this error:
res://C:\WINDOWS\system32\shdoclc.dll/navcancl.htm

"prior to a McAfee needed reboot" just meant before rebooting after an update on my antivirus program.

I'm going to ask the moderator to move this thread over to the Windows OS forum. I think you will find more help there resolving the system problem. Tell then I sent you. After this is resolved, if malware appears to be the issue, I will set up up for the scans.

For the Works Calendar Reminder:
It sounds like it's on Startup:

Click on Start> Run> type in msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup tab> Uncheck wkcalrem.exe and wkwinuni.dll> Click on Apply> OK.

Note: the first time you reboot after doing this, you will get a nag message which you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' You must stay in Selective Startup to keep the change.

Please note that this thread was moved. You need to start your own thread in the Windows OS forum. You problem is also completely different from the one posted here originally.

Back