Error When Copying Files

Status
Not open for further replies.

jephph

I've got a client who started to encounter an error where when he tries to copy a decent amount of files (200+ photo files amounting to 1-2GB total) he gets the windows error message "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close... yadayada"

He's running Windows XP SP3 32bit with a Core 2 Quad processor with 4GB (3.5 recognizable). He said that the problem just started popping up. He used to be able to do it just fine. I copied a couple of error logs to my flash drive and I'll post them here. One is from Event Viewer, the other is from when you click "click here to see more info" when the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" window pops up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2 GB of photos - image files.
The error logs seem to indicate hardware error... but infestations mask as hardware way too often.
You might want to rule out some things so you can narrow it down.
First, with power off, I would pull every cable, then reinsert. Then after examining your event viewer, I would remove everything in the viewer so you are looking at only new reports.
Second, I would run SpySweeper or Spyware Docter full version, or SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareButes, and Windows Defender... then take the time to run the full length version of Kaspersky, Nod32, Avast or Avira Antivir.
Then suggest you download and run the lastest version of MemTest86 for four hours or seven passes, which ever is longer.
If nothing there, one obvious worry is eliminted.
Then it would be time to take a look at the optical drives and hard drive (assuming you have already performed two or more spyware scans and then either Avast of Avira Antivir. If anything interesting is found, I would run them again in Safe Mode.
I would walk down through the entire Event Viewer looking closely for anything in red and the frequency it occurs.
Look for dirt sticking to cpu fan blades... being sure you get out all the dust, lint, pet hair, etc.
Final likely suspects: video graphics card, power supply, and memory. Start by pulling and reseating.
Lastly, download all new drivers for chipset, video graphics, etc. then totally remove the old stuff, and replace with the new downloads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back