Ethical hackers show how to open millions of hotel keycard locks

Daniel Sims

Staff
In a nutshell: Over three million hotel room locks in 13,000 buildings in 131 countries are vulnerable to an exploit that lets attackers forge master keys for any door. Although the manufacturer of the affected locks is rolling out a fix, it's unclear when or if every impacted hotel will upgrade its systems.

Researchers recently disclosed a significant security flaw in Dormakaba's Saflok electronic RFID locks, which are popular with hotels. It could allow a hacker to clone a hotel's keycard to access any room in the building. It is unclear whether hackers are actively exploiting the vulnerability.

The exploit affects Saflok MT, Quantum Series, RT Series, Saffire Series, Confidant Series, and all other Saflok locks. Saflok MT and RT (pictured below) are the most common. Most hotels that use the impacted locks employ either System 6000, Ambiance, or Community management software.

Using the exploit requires a genuine MIFARE Classic keycard – active or expired – and any device that can write data to a card. Some examples of devices that can hack an NFC card include Flipper Zero, Prixmark3, and any NFC-equipped Android phone. A single fake card can unlock any door in the hotel that produced the original. It can also override deadbolts, so a chain lock is likely required to stop an intruder.

The only way to check if someone has used a forged keycard is to look at the lock's entry/exit logs using an HH6 device. Still, it's difficult to tell if a suspicious entry was from a tenant using the wrong card or a staff member unlocking a door.

The researchers initially developed the method during a 2022 Las Vegas hacking conference and immediately informed Dormakaba. The company devised a fix but has only patched or replaced 36 percent of the affected locks.

Updated locks are visually indistinguishable from vulnerable ones. However, any hotel using Saflok systems with MIFARE Ultralight C cards has likely completed the upgrade. Worried travelers can easily identify keycard types using NXP's NFC Taginfo app, which is available on iOS and Android.

Addressing the problem in every affected building worldwide is difficult, if not impossible. The process requires updating or replacing the locks, management software, cards, keycard encoders, and integrated third-party devices like elevators, garage doors, and payment systems – a daunting challenge at best.

The researchers haven't published all the details on the vulnerability yet but plan to release more. The exploit likely isn't in the wild. However, the impacted locks have been in circulation since 1988, so someone else could have theoretically devised a similar hack at any point over the last three-and-a-half decades.

Update: dormakaba's PR team contacted us and asked us to publish the following statement (slightly edited for brevity):

"As soon as we were made aware of the vulnerability by a group of external security researchers, we initiated a comprehensive investigation, prioritized developing and rolling out a mitigation solution, and worked to communicate with customers systematically.

We are not aware of any reported instances of this issue being exploited to date. Per the principles of responsible disclosure, we are collaborating with the researchers to provide a broader alert to highlight how existing risks with legacy RFID technology are evolving, so that others can take precautionary steps. We appreciate the responsible disclosure and collaborative approach taken by the researchers who have shared our goal of protecting users and strengthening security technology throughout this process."

Permalink to story.

Who in the Sam Heck doesn't flip the dead bolt, and flip the hook thingy when they go into a hotel room?

the deadbolt wont stop a master key from opening the lock, it will stop other room card holders or cleaners but it can still be opened from outside. and those flip latches are a joke, they bust right open.

Probably explains why so many hotel chains are going away from card readers now. Over the past 6 months I've stayed in a dozen or so hotels and only one still had and maintains the key-card system ....

Who in the Sam Heck doesn't flip the dead bolt, and flip the hook thingy when they go into a hotel room?
It depends. Most of the time, yes. Of course if you're not in the room you can't do those things. Other times, I may forget to throw the deadbolt if I feel like I'm in a secure hotel or if I happen to be travelling by car and have personal protection available.

Probably explains why so many hotel chains are going away from card readers now. Over the past 6 months I've stayed in a dozen or so hotels and only one still had and maintains the key-card system ....
Interesting. Most hotels I've stayed in had some sort of electronic key card or an app to access the door lock. One place in AZ just had a keypad for outside entry but the room door had e-cards with some sort of NFC activation. Hilton used to have an app and you could get your key prior to arriving at the hotel which was convenient for times when you come in late to the hotel.

Nothing like a real old fashioned key and lock, eh?

Really??? I've stayed in many hotels and not one in the last 10 years has given me a physical key.

"Any NFC-enabled Android phone could forge a master key for every room in a hotel"

Camping in a tent would be safer...!

Adding the word "Ethical" into the headline doesn't make diseminating the how-to guide to the masses the right editorial choice to make.

Back