EU may force Apple to allow competing browser engines on iOS

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: Currently, Apple requires all iOS web browsers to use WebKit – the engine powering its Safari browser. Many consider this policy anti-competitive, and it may become a target of the European Union's upcoming Digital Markets Act.

Recently, an unpublished draft of European Union legislation leaked. The new draft of the Digital Markets Act (DMA) adds language singling out web browser engines for protection against "gatekeepers." It reads like a direct attack on Apple's requirement that iOS browsers use its WebKit engine.

The legislation says that when a gatekeeper imposes a browser engine on developers, it effectively controls functionality for a platform's browsers and other apps built on web software. If the DMA takes effect with this language, it could force Apple to allow alternative browser engines, such as Chromium. On PCs, Chromium is the basis for Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, and many other browsers.

Developers will likely celebrate the new regulation. Earlier this year, a group of developers formed Open Web Advocacy, with the end of Apple's WebKit requirement as its main goal. The group says imposing WebKit on developers stifles innovation and threatens the entire future of app development.

Web browsers aren't the only area where the DMA attacks Apple's policy. In March, the European Council and European Parliament agreed on the language for the law that would force platform holders like Google and Apple to allow alternate payment methods and app sideloading. Apple will certainly try to fight the legislation.

Permalink to story.

Ironically opening iOS up to Chrome just ensures the only browser you can use for browsing will be Chrome. I already have a list of sites that only work in Chrome (and also Edge since it’s essentially Chrome).

EU is turning into a dictatorship. Market should decide if Apple is to blame by NOT buying their products. If people buy Apple products and they are happy with the fact that there is no Safari alternative, what is EUs problem?
Imagine hating billion dollar governments so much you simp for a trillion dollar corporation.

Authoritarians stomping on personal sovereignty are authoritarians stomping on personal sovereignty, it doesn't matter if the name has a TM at the end or not. If the EU is putting a stop to it, it just proves even a broken, corrupt plutocratic clock is right twice a day.

Imagine hating billion dollar governments so much you simp for a trillion dollar corporation.

Authoritarians stomping on personal sovereignty are authoritarians stomping on personal sovereignty, it doesn't matter if the name has a TM at the end or not. If the EU is putting a stop to it, it just proves even a broken, corrupt plutocratic clock is right twice a day.
The EU is an undemocratic mafia. Where else do unelected losers get to write the laws.

The EU is an undemocratic mafia. Where else do unelected losers get to write the laws.
And Apple is what in comparison? A bunch of loathsome Silicon Valley minimalist design cretin leftists with more money than God and an unwholesome ability to steer the development of human technology, full stop, across the planet. If you're more afraid of the EU than them you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

And Apple is what in comparison? A bunch of loathsome Silicon Valley minimalist design cretin leftists with more money than God and an unwholesome ability to steer the development of human technology, full stop, across the planet. If you're more afraid of the EU than them you're dumber than a bag of hammers.
Let me know the next time Apple interferes with other countries internal affairs.

You can install chrome on iOS, but it is not the same.... It sucks. Web Browsers on iOS suck. With Garbage UI and options from the forced used of webkit.

They should force the option to allow sideloading as well.

Let me know the next time Apple interferes with other countries internal affairs.
If you can't see how letting Apple basically drive the course of human technological development on the entire planet with their outsize influence and budget larger than the GDP of most countries is a bad thing, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe in a decade when you can't even type the word "Trump" into your phone without it locking you out and issuing you 50 demerits, preventing you from getting groceries that week? Or when an implant they "partnered" with a biotech firm detects when, and subsequently prevents you from, operating a firearm, even lawfully?

If someone doesn't check them *now* when the issue is something as relatively minor as choice of browser on a smartphone, that's where we get led. The free market isn't doing that job so the responsibility has to come down to someone, so here we are.

This is why I'm not a conservative anymore. You people will get in bed with the worst authoritarians on the planet just as long as they're not paid by taxes.

Last edited:
If EU forces apple to allow other browser engines, that would not force them to do the same for customers outside of EU.

EU is turning into a dictatorship. Market should decide if Apple is to blame by NOT buying their products. If people buy Apple products and they are happy with the fact that there is no Safari alternative, what is EUs problem?

Due to lack of choice (only 2) and complexity of these devices, I support EU on this. If there were 5 or 6 different choices then I might agree with you.

I thought Firefox was their own engine... is that not the case on the iOS Firefox? I have noticed a disconnect between the mobile Firefox and desktop Firefox I use in Linux, FreeBSD, and even MacOS.

In principle, it sounds correct. Until you realize the Chromium engine is being regarded as "an alternative" and a victim of unfair competition. Which is ridiculous.

Deal with Google's Internet and browser monopoly first, and then deal with Apple's hardware to be taken seriously.

Back