European Union set to revise cookie law, admits cookie banners are annoying

Daniel Sims

Staff
Something to look forward to: The requirement for websites to gain visitors' consent to use cookies has given users more control over their data when surfing. However, it's led to endless annoying "cookie permission" banners seen on most websites. Recognizing this issue, EU authorities are considering revising these requirements, although the outcome may hinge on the compliance of major platforms.

European Union Justice Commissioner Didier Reynders recently told German newspaper 'Welt am Sonntag' that the European Commission is aware of how annoying cookie consent banners have become and is discussing a remedy. He said that although websites can no longer activate cookies without informing users about them, the stipulation shouldn't turn web browsing into a tiring affair.

Most website visitors in recent years have encountered banners or pop-ups requesting permission for various types of cookies, including those essential for basic site functionality, advertising cookies, and others. Fortunately, many sites offer a straightforward choice between accepting all cookies or blocking all non-essential ones. However, numerous sites require multiple clicks to refuse cookies, often tempting visitors to opt for the "allow all" button for convenience.

These banners are displayed to adhere to the GDPR privacy regulations implemented by the EU in 2018. Reynders mentioned that the commission aims to alleviate "cookie fatigue" while ensuring users comprehend online advertising mechanics and make informed decisions about their data. One proposed solution is to require websites to remember visitors' preferences, thereby presenting the consent form only once per year.

The commission aspires for large platforms like Meta, X, and others to voluntarily commit to a "cookies pledge." This pledge would involve providing transparent information about cookie usage and avoiding user annoyance. It is hoped that smaller websites will emulate this approach.

Balancing data privacy with advertising needs is not exclusive to regulators. Google has been working to transition Chrome away from cookies. Innovations like Trust Tokens and Privacy Sandboxes are designed to offer advertisers limited customer information while safeguarding personal data. However, there are concerns that Google might leverage these systems to limit browser functionalities, such as extensions. Google plans to phase out third-party cookies this month.

Google's challenge is to find this balance, as advertising is vital to its business model. In contrast, companies like Mozilla and Apple, which do not rely heavily on advertising revenue, have taken more decisive actions against advertising cookies.

Permalink to story.

Cookie banners are useless and more annoying than the cookies themselves.

Do you really think websites will give you full control over their cookies? They will allow you to change only what they give you to disable, not everything.

I support data privacy regulations etc., but this proves how burdensome and inefficient Euro bereaucracy is - it’s already 5+ years after these GDPR changes and only now they start searching for solutions (but nothing tangible yet, right?) to avoid these obviuos annoyances.. wow..

Perhaps they should specify what the cookie acceptance popup should look like - a small popup asking you to select between all cookies, essential cookies or none. My simple rule is to immediately distrust sites that have dozens of cookie check boxes and always go elsewhere.

It would also be nice if the google search list allows you to not see certain sites ever again.

Another example of EU idiocy and over reach by beauracrats and technocrats, who have never had a real job.

So glad we're out of that undemocratic 5hit show.
Oh yeah, the UK is much more democratic now we've left, MUCH more, it's only been uphill since we left! I remember back when we were in the EU, out on the street, eating the crumbs of the rich EU citizens that lived here, was hard back then, sleeping in the gutter and barely scraping food to live.

Now though, now that we're out, it's soo much better! No longer am I poor and treated badly by all the EU citizens, Food prices are lower than ever, everything is just soo much cheaper now! It's amazing! Finally was able to get that promotion I've always wanted and go on all the holidays I've ever dreamed about!

*Wakes up*

Oh, back to reality I guess...

Good Lord, all the whining!! That banner is keeping you awake at night??

I guess the sheep and the whiners still want to be under the yoke of Google and other imbecile tech sites that steals their data and privacy.

You get what you deserve.

Oh yeah, the UK is much more democratic now we've left, MUCH more, it's only been uphill since we left! I remember back when we were in the EU, out on the street, eating the crumbs of the rich EU citizens that lived here, was hard back then, sleeping in the gutter and barely scraping food to live.

Now though, now that we're out, it's soo much better! No longer am I poor and treated badly by all the EU citizens, Food prices are lower than ever, everything is just soo much cheaper now! It's amazing! Finally was able to get that promotion I've always wanted and go on all the holidays I've ever dreamed about!

*Wakes up*

Yeah, it’s not like there was a global pandemic that basically shut down the entire developed world or something…

Ah yes.. the overreach of attempting to give people control over their personal information… such evil cannot be tolerated!

Except for it doesn't. If you think cookies give you control over anything in regards to personal information online, you're woefully equipped to be online. Cookies are nothing in this day and age in regards to data collection techniques.

Yeah, it’s not like there was a global pandemic that basically shut down the entire developed world or something…
Oh, I see, We'll blame it all on COVID and ignore the fact all other comparable countries recovered much quicker than us.

We'll also ignore the completely stagnant growth for the last 15 years or sharply declining living standards?

Britain was already on its knees before Brexit, let alone the pandemic...

Edit:
In-case anyone reads these comments and wants some context on the downhill slope the UK insists on riding, this video is actually a pretty good summary:

Last edited:

*Wakes up*

Oh, I see, We'll blame it all on COVID and ignore the fact all other comparable countries recovered much quicker than us.

We'll also ignore the completely stagnant growth for the last 15 years or sharply declining living standards?

Britain was already on its knees before Brexit, let alone the pandemic...

Edit:
In-case anyone reads these comments and wants some context on the downhill slope the UK insists on riding, this video is actually a pretty good summary:
I’d blame a rise in authoritarianism rather than a decline in democracy. They’re not mutually exclusive, despite what most people think.

I'm fine with simple accept or refuse buttons. But many devs were making it annoying.
Still with brave is not an issue

Is there a browser addon for Firefox that just forces (necessary cookies only)? Or just auto-rejects them. SOMETHING for gods sake.

Another example of EU idiocy and over reach by beauracrats and technocrats, who have never had a real job.

So glad we're out of that undemocratic 5hit show.

How undemocratic of the EU - they don't line the kids up every day to swear allegiance to the flag - now that's democracy.

Allowing foreign companies from say Saudi Arabia- to lower the water table in whole counties to grow alfalfa for their sheep and cows back home, leaving local growers farms in tatters, that democracy.
Having your local river on fire is excellent.
USA has good and bad regs like everyone else - they get improved over time

Stop being a shrill for Fox and Mega corps who just feed you BS to exploit you easier and make you love it.

I no fan of the EU , they have implemented many things with huge unintended consequence- some meaning more exploitation of the developing world.

But there's a reason California and the EU is richer than the republican States .
Theirs a reason why republican states are the biggest drain on federal monies - as they allow workers pay to dwindled , benefits to fall beside the wayside, health outcomes and drug addiction to skyrocket, lots of not well supported one parent families they don't care about once the baby is born.

It's embarrassing reading people raving how wonderful it is to be exploited -Nearly impossible in US to jail directors in mega corps for killing - Sacklers killed hundreds of thousands , they still live as billionaires.
Towns left as toxic dumps , high cancer, corps didn't pay a cent , they tax payer picks up the bill.

But yes don't have to visit annoying sites, even my chrome removes all cookies on a refresh, so doesn't really matter too much.

Good Lord, all the whining!! That banner is keeping you awake at night??

I guess the sheep and the whiners still want to be under the yoke of Google and other imbecile tech sites that steals their data and privacy.

You get what you deserve.
My time is extremely valuable.

You are free to keep wasting yours thinking this useless requirement is keeping you and your data safer. It is not, but for many feeling safer is all that matters.

The EU searches to be on the user side, to protect their privacy and etc. but they implement it wrongly, many years ago they started with Browser screen in Windows, then cookie accept, then cookie customizer, these are annoying.

Is there a browser addon for Firefox that just forces (necessary cookies only)? Or just auto-rejects them. SOMETHING for gods sake.

I use "Consent-O-Matic" for chrome, but it also works with firefox and other browsers: this extension tries to choose the least needed settings for cookies (essential only) and click accept on behalf of the user.

I’d blame a rise in authoritarianism rather than a decline in democracy. They’re not mutually exclusive, despite what most people think.

To be fair, most "Democratic" systems really boils down to state-sponsored two party systems when all is said and done.

Frankly, I've come around to representation via random appointment as being the best worst option.

Back