event error 1517

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soap

Source : Userenv
Event ID: 1517
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description: Windows saved user BARKLEY\(user) registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

in that last paragraph it says configure the services to run in either the local service or network service.....how do i do this??

thanks.

Check the service properties in the Service MMC snap in and goto the Log On tap. You can select what account to sign on as there.

LNCPapa

As papa says, services can run as executed programs, ran by a particular user. If you go into control panel, admin tools, and find services, and then find the service in question, you should be able to modify it as Papa has said. The tab is called log on.

will the log on coloumn actually say user? all i have s local service, local system and network service.

I have the same problem, but it's a little bit different. The error doesn't actually pop up itself. I found out about it by checking the application tab in the event viewer.
It occurs for each time I log off and considerably slows the shutdown. The message seems to be standardised, there's no information about the service in question as far as I can see.

I can make an assumption why this error occurs. I think I once messed up the user accounts while trying something. I managed to fix it and log in as administrator again, but I can't shake off the feeling that I somehow swapped the guest and my own account in the process. Although I'm logged with my account name (which shows up in the logoff option in the start tab) the error refers to the guest account and I noticed that sometimes files are saved to the guest account's document folder.
Any way to fix the mess I probably caused?

Btw, the guest account is no longer activated and I'm definitely logged in as administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back