Evo N800c no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Evo N800c laptop without sound. Device manager show everything as it should be. The speaker volume works on the screen up and down, but not sound coming out either from speakers or head set. Is there something I am missing like a cold solder or it is a faulty chip on the motherboard. I searched the web and there is nothing on this problem. There is a lot on the screen issues with this model, which is the cable, and I already replaced it. It has awesome graphics, but terrible ribbon cable desings. Thanks for any input on this matter.

There is a lot of interesting stuff on that forum I must admit. I did look at it before posting my problem, but noting about my problem. I just thought somebody would have same problem like me. It seem my problem is not as common as I thought previously. Thanks anyway.

a little while ago we had a problem like this and it was traced to the guy using non standard earphones - the jack plug was shorting out the socket and nothing was happening. Could this be the case here?

I think you are correct, because the last think I tried is plug in USB box with head speakers, it is like I am by passing the sound completely, and the sound works flawlessly. Thanks for a good advice, but could you be more specific how to look for this kind a short? Like I should unsolder the jack plug and replace it? Or it is more complicate?

It seems that there are different specs for the contacts in the jack plugs depending on stereo or mono output - maybe you have a stereo jack in a mono socket or vice versa?

I think we got away from the original problem.” No sound either from speakers or head set supplied on the laptop.” What I did now connected a USB Digital Stereo Sound Box. These boxes are when you have no option for mike and head set on the laptop, and that is the way I can only hear the sound. What I think this USB device is bypassing the sound problem. It is like your conventional keyboard or mouse jack are damaged, then you plug in USB and it works so you forget about it. Well in this case I could use it same way, but it defeat the purpose of a laptop where everything is integrated, and it would be a nice challenge for me. I would like to fix more difficult problems. Don’t forget this is my hobby like most of us. This laptop was given to me with the famous video cable problem. I replaced the cable, and the graphics are awesome. That is when I notice there is no sound. I did check all the connections at least twice, and I think your first suggestion with short on the sound jack would be best option to look at. I will open it up again, and look for something bent or cold solder around the jack. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back