Excel asking for User Account Control authorization

GoneBaja

Had a virus, got all cleaned up thanks to Broni, in the Virus Forums....

Still having Excel issues...if I try to open an Excel file without Excel already loaded.
Excel opens but requests User account Control Authorization before it will carry on.
Then says: "There was a problem sending the command to the program"...(the location of the file is displayed on the outside frame of this error)...then Excel loads on top of it with no file open.

I did move some files around to tidy things up prior to getting rid of the virus...but...

There are some files that Excel will open once it is loaded....those are displayed in Excel's recent files list....

Not sure if I should try uninstalling and reinstalling, repair fix maybe...??

Suggestions most appreciated.

JP

The fastest solution will likely be to uninstall Excel (or the entire Office suite) and then perform a new installation of it. That won't affect any existing documents you've been using but will give you a fresh install of your Office software now Broni has finished with ridding your computer of nasties.

Thankyou.... not sure if this is cool for me to ask a different question here or not, but I have two Program Files Directories, one called Program Files X86, have you run into this before? and is it a problem?

If you have a 64-bit OS you usually have two Program File folders, one labelled "Program Files" and another, "Program Files (x86)," that's nothing to worry about. :)

Great!! one less thing!

I have another larger issue that I am afraid to ask... Whoever set this computer up partioned the HD into C: 58 Gigs and D: 397 Gigs The proceeded to locate Program Files on C:, so it is running out of space.... as the user wants a big fancy Contact Manger etc....and D: is empty.... mulling over whether to Image the whole thing onto an External...or what??

Suggestions??

thx

jp

If D: is empty, go into disk management (in the Administrative tools) and resize the first partition, or remove the second one and then resize the first to cover the entire disk.

Ohhh... you are great!! it's not empty, but only has files... most of the programs have their documents mapped there, so I can easily just copy those documents off, resize C .... then put them back....?

If you shrink D: it will have the free space at the end of the partition. You can't extend disk C: unless there is free space between that and partition D: either. So the best bet is to backup the personal files you do need to keep on disk D:, and then delete it. You can then extend partition C: to the required size, and finally create a simple partition using the remainder of the free space.

That's assuming you want two partitions. If you just want one big C: disk, then once you've deleted the D: partition, extend partition C: to cover the entire physical size of the hard disk.

Any files you copy/backup can be resorted to their original locations once you've finished resizing.

So, I am having a major issue as a result of this.

I deleted the D; partition. Tried to extend the C drive, extend was not available. Thought a reboot might help. Computer won't boot.says it's BootMrg is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Dlt to Restart, F12 for Boot Menu... hoping you are in control here...!!

Sorry for sounding anxious... I did make sure all things are as backed up as possible for Deleting the D... right now I have a Boot Menu open and hoping that you can direct me from here.

That is very odd. Are you certain you removed the correct partition?

The way it is behaving is as if you've deleted the primary partition, which should be impossible as its locked when in use.

How many disks do you have? Just the single hard disk, or more than one?

Also, can you recall the partition structure from when you were in disk management? How many partitions were there? What were the labels?

Pretty sure it's a single disk.
2 partitions, C & D.... I remember something about a partition that the Manufacturer created too...if that makes sense...Dell partition.... running a diagnostic test right now that was offered following F12 .. went down the symptom tree to "Cannot boot the OS" it's only at about 19% right now...said it would take 82 minutes to run through... SATA Disk Confidence test.

Found some notes I made along the way, C = 58.59 with 53.68 used D= 397.30 with 32.43 used.....with Windows installed on C....so dunno.... Confidence test is at 96% now

Hi:

If I need to reinstall Excel 2007 because of a User Account Control glitch that has developed during a bout of virus wrestling and don't have the disks, will buying and installing an upgrade overcome the User Account Control bitching that is going on?

Now it's doing a Drive Self Test, 109 minutes... at 30% I think I'll have a nap, already washed the floor...:)

JSYK, I did make a backup of the whole darn thing to an external drive just before I deleted the partion. and I do have a read writeable CD here.... are these some things that might be useful?

I meant to post the question about Excel again, in a new topic and thought I had, sorry about that.
I combined them. You don't want two overlapping threads.

What this person says... suggests why the procedure advised didn't go so well

This is a limitation of Windows 7. You can only extend a volume with unallocated space that is located to its right. So in my setup, I could extend C, but I cannot extend D. This is when you need to turn to third party applications. I recommend EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition.
Another limitation in Windows 7 is that you can only shrink or extend NTFS or unformatted partitions.

That's effectively what I said before you edited your partition structure.

Did you resolve this, or are you still having problems?

I did get the computer back up, but I do have a question with regard to left over Windows 7 HD label scrambling.

Using the tool EaseUS shows me that there are a couple of partitions with *.names which are probably left over from the scrambling that I did...one is *:Recover,y 9 Gigs 7 used, NTFS, the other is *: FAT16, 100 Mgs 9 used.

I did a complete Backup before I did the Partitioning exercise and that has not been found through regular Windows tools...I assume it is in the *.Recover partition and has lost it's letter... I am not sure how or what to letter to give it so that the system will recognize it, or if that is even possible or if it doesn't matter what I label it cause it is recognized as recover partition by Easeus.

I did another Backup externally too... but I need to make sure Windows knows where it's Recovery and Restore files are.

Actually I'm thinking that if I go back to the Restore point that I created just before I did the Partioning fiasco, I could try again to do it correctly, with Easus.

I got the computer back but the Desktop got scrambled and I am not really sure of what was where, cause it's not my computer.

Also I have been messing around with Office and ended up in a bad place and would like to go back to my Restore point...

I think I am not completely sure that the Backup that got saved to the External is exactly the same as a Restore Point that is on the HD...I don't have enough confidence to just go ahead and jump into doing the Restore from there..

I could be wrong about the *.Recovery thing too... looking via System, Devices, it does Recognize the Recovery Partition, so my problem becomes that Recovery/Restore doesn't find anything in it...so perhaps a new one was made when I had to rescue the system...? and I only now have the one on the External?

I'd just edit the name to read "recovery" correctly, then see if you can boot to it when starting Windows. The other 100MB partition should actually be NTFS, and is your "system reserved" -- this is used to load Windows and should not be removed or touched. If that wasn't working Windows wouldn't boot, so you know that's okay.

At this point further messing around is likely to result in further damage, especially since we can't know for certain what you have or haven't done. In regards to messing with Office -- it should have been a simple case of removing it, then installing it again but your comment implies you've done more than that?

Your at the point right now where you might be better served by wiping Windows and starting with a fresh install.

Back