Experiencing high latency with multiple users on router

By joshuamays
Feb 2, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have Linksys wireless-G broadband router. When surfing the web, while being the only one online at home, internet pages will open almost instantaneous. The pc that i use is directly connected to the router. There is also another pc as well as 2 laptops that connect wirelessly. The internet signal strength is reduced drastically when multiple users are online at the same time. My router is keyed/pass protected and additional unauthorized users is not a problem. I have no idea what kind of signal the router is putting out. I have noticed when playing an online game my latency will go from <100ms and shoot as high as 1.2k-2k. Again ive noticed that latency is high when multiple people are online.

What can i do to troubleshoot this? Is there any way that i can get the signal to boost as more of it is utilized? thx :)
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

the short answer is no.

for a start see http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic141987.html#4

Bandwidth control is difficult with our cheap routers -- the professionals have features
    that are seldomly available to home users. Look to see if QoS is supported in your router; if present you *may*
    be able to configure it.

You currently have
    Code:
    modem ---- router#1 ---wired system(A)
                  |
                  + - - - - WiFi (B + C systems)

With that layout, all systems will see all traffic ; system A will see but not process packets from system C.
    Not all routers use Switch technology -- see if yours does. If not add a switch
    Code:
    modem ---- router#1 ---(switch*) --- wired system(A)
                  |
                  + - - - - WiFi (B + C systems)

This will reduce traffic from the router to system(A). Everything attached to the
    switch* side will only see its own traffic.

If I were using WiFi, this would be my layout
    Code:
    modem ---- router#1 ---(switch) --- A/P - - - WiFi (B + C systems) wired system(A)
                              |
                              +---- wired system(A)

Here, ALL systems only see their own traffic

In all cases, router#1 provides the initial NAT to allow multiple systems to share the single ISP connection.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.