TechSpot

explorer.exe does not load at login

By MathTeacher
Apr 26, 2006
  1. About a month ago I purchased a new Dell E510. It has a Pentium 4 630 chip and runs Windows XP Media Center.
    A couple of weeks ago I had a nasty bout with spyware. According to McAfee Security Center and Windows Defender, all the nasties are out. And everything runs just fine with one irritating exception: explorer.exe does not load automatically on login. This means I get my wallpaper but nothing else – no icons, no start menu, no taskbar. After I use the task manager to run explorer.exe, everything works perfectly. Besides the fact that I don’t really want to manually jump start explorer.exe every time I log in, it makes me wonder if there is a bigger problem lurking in the background.
    I ran SFC and it corrected about five or six files, but that did not solve the problem. Which makes me think this is not a case of a corrupt file, but a registry issue. Having been a Mac user until a month ago, though, I am not very familiar with the registry. (Funny, in eight years of owning a Mac, I never once had a virus or spyware attack. I hope the conversion was not a mistake.) Anyway, I know HOW to make manual changes to it, but I am not sure what to change. I have researched the problem online for a week or so, but none of the fixes have proven fruitful.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on what this might be?

Thanks!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Your system may still be infected with some nasties.

Go HERE and follow the instructions in the order they are given.

Post a fresh HJT log, only after doing the above.

If it turns out, that you do have a malware problem. I will move this thread to the proper forum.

If it`s not a malware issue, then we`ll try and think of other solutions.

Regards Howard :)

3. MathTeacher

MathTeacher TS Rookie Topic Starter

Howard,
    Thanks for the tip. I will follow those steps and let you know the results.

4. MathTeacher

MathTeacher TS Rookie Topic Starter

Solved

I scanned my computer with several programs and found no malware.
    Eventually I discovered the problem. It was the registry, just as I had suspected. I had simply been overlooking one thing: I was leaving out the quotation marks around explorer.exe when identifying it in the registry as the startup shell [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon].
    I hope this will help someone else now.

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Glad your problem is solved.

Thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)

6. uberfun

uberfun TS Rookie

Your explorer.exe problem...

I found a way that worked for me:

1. Start--> Run--> regedit
    2. Go to the HKLM/ software/ microsoft/ windows nt/ current version/ winlogin\
    3. double click Shell
    4. put %windir%\explorer.exe

Good to go!

7. uberfun

uberfun TS Rookie

You should update your antivirus software and run a full scan.

After this, does my method previously described, work for you?
    let me know

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.