Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trekoclv

Everytime I log onto internet explorer on my laptop, my homepage, Google, comes up just fine, but as soon as I try to go to another site or google anything, I get the message that explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Explorer was working just fine until I deleted Win Media Player 11 in favor of the older but more user-friendly version 10. I believe that both of these programs run exclusive of each other, yet my problem occured immediately after deleting wmp11. I deleted 2 other programs as directed my microsoft in their faq section, I don't remember what they were called. After the problem began, I also tried rolling explorer from ver. 7 to ver. 6 to see if maybe that would make a difference. None. I should note that right after rolling wmp11, I was able to visit about 3-4 sites before getting the error message, and this was possible about 3 times. Now I can't get further than the homepage.

Can anyone help me in my quest of being able to google anything at anytime, rather than waiting to come home to the desktop? I don't know if more information is required than what I have provided. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Try a Sevices repair.

Type SFC /SCANNOW into the RUN command.

Have your Window CD Handy.

May take a while {40 minutes or so} dpending on your Hardware.

Hopefully that will do the trick.

Window CD? Not sure about that one. Bought the Sony Vaio FS-550 about 2 years ago and I am sure I don't have any CD's that may have come with it. Can I try this without the window cd?

Yes, but if it encounters errors, it will want A Windows CD to copy replacement files from. You can always cancel it.

Can you borrow a CD off someone? It needs to be the same as what you have installed- XP Home SP2, XP ProSP2, Media Center .....

Make use of the Event Viewer found in the Administrative Tools in the control Panel. You will be looking for en Error that occurs at the time IE shuts down. This will help find the cause, followed hopefully by a fix:

Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

If you want to paste the Event here, you do not need to include the lines of code that follow the Description- but paste all else. You will be looking for Error that occurs at the time of the problem. Please ignore Warnings.

reload player 11 see if it fixes the issue
I don't use IE it sucks
I use firefox
I left windows web browsers way back in 95

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back