Explorer Problem in XP

By theafterglow
Jul 4, 2008
  1. Hi

I have a minor problem with Windows Explorer on XP SP2 which is very irritating!

Basically I tried to create a right-click option in Windows Explorer to open a command prompt batchfile for purging CAD files. The method for doing this is as follows:

Within Windows Explorer application, select "Tools", "Folder Options...", then select the "File Types" tab. Scroll down to select the "File Folder" item and then select the "Advanced" button. Create a new action by selecting the "New..." button. Enter "Purge" in the field labeled "Action" and enter the syntax required.

However, being the complete dickhead I am, I entered the syntax wrong the first couple of times. I eventually managed to enter it correctly and successfully create the command, however whenever I right click I'm also stuck with the old ones that do absolutely nothing.

The Folder Options window will not allow me to edit or delete the erroneous commands I have created. This isn't too much of a problem as I have simply been ignoring them, however everytime there is a upgrade to the CAD software I need to create a new command. My right click menu is filling up with commands!

I have tried logging in simply as a user and as administrator to remove the commands, however nothing seems to work!

Please help.

Many thanks

2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

If you have IE 7.0 installed, instead of 6.0, simply uninstall it in "Add and Remove"
    Then reboot, and reinstall it after a registry flush with RegClean.
  3. gbhall

gbhall TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,423   +77

Those commands are, I think, just stored in the registry. Use regedit to find and delete them with standard search. N.B. if you have never edited the registry before, take a restore point first.
  4. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

I believe those keys would be found here:

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

No they're here

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.