Explorer Problem in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

theafterglow

Hi

I have a minor problem with Windows Explorer on XP SP2 which is very irritating!

Basically I tried to create a right-click option in Windows Explorer to open a command prompt batchfile for purging CAD files. The method for doing this is as follows:

Within Windows Explorer application, select "Tools", "Folder Options...", then select the "File Types" tab. Scroll down to select the "File Folder" item and then select the "Advanced" button. Create a new action by selecting the "New..." button. Enter "Purge" in the field labeled "Action" and enter the syntax required.

However, being the complete dickhead I am, I entered the syntax wrong the first couple of times. I eventually managed to enter it correctly and successfully create the command, however whenever I right click I'm also stuck with the old ones that do absolutely nothing.

The Folder Options window will not allow me to edit or delete the erroneous commands I have created. This isn't too much of a problem as I have simply been ignoring them, however everytime there is a upgrade to the CAD software I need to create a new command. My right click menu is filling up with commands!

I have tried logging in simply as a user and as administrator to remove the commands, however nothing seems to work!

Please help.

Many thanks

TAG

If you have IE 7.0 installed, instead of 6.0, simply uninstall it in "Add and Remove"
Then reboot, and reinstall it after a registry flush with RegClean.

Those commands are, I think, just stored in the registry. Use regedit to find and delete them with standard search. N.B. if you have never edited the registry before, take a restore point first.

I believe those keys would be found here:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back