Extend Wireless Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I am trying to extend the range/reception of my D-Link DI-720U router and DWL-G520 pci adapter with an external (omni) antenna.
I am getting a very weak signal, and sometimes no signal from the router, which is downstairs at the back of the house. The pc is upstairs in front of the house.
Total distance is about 30 feet. There is one ceiling/floor, and a couple of walls between the router and the pc.

A laptop with a D-Link DWL-G650 card is receiving a much better signal (by at least 25db) when placed in the same location as the pc's antenna.

I have been looking into the Pringle Can-Tenna and some store bought antenna as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks

FW

So one computer can receive good signal at a particular spot while another computer cannot?

It sounds like the computer that can't receive good signal has a faulty wireless card. You might consider a replacement.

twite said:
Buy an access point.

Actually, I already have an 'access point'. I have an unused D-Link DI-624 wireless router. This morning I thought I would just place that router in a different location and run a long cable to the main router. Set the SSID and channel same as main router, and I should have better coverage.

As for the DWL-G650 card, I have considered that it may be faulty.
There is another one installed into another pc upstairs, so I can try it in the pc with the low signal and see what happens.

I also need to look for firmware updates to my card.

FW

Update:
I brought the pc with the weak wifi signal into the room where the pc with the strong signal is. Both pc's have the same D-Link DWL-G520 PCI adapter.
I did not swap anything between computers, and used the same antenna on the weak signal pc.
Result: Signal strength is excellent! Same as other pc in that room.
Conclusion: The pc is in a dead spot in the house.
Installing the access point will work. Now all I need is a loooong ehternet cable to connect the main router to the access point.

FW

Update:

I temporarily placed the second router (as an access point) in a different location downstairs, and was able to get an excellent signal to the pc upstairs.
I am going to make the installation permanent as soon as I can come up with enough cat 5e cable to make the trip. I ordered 50' online, but in the meantime, I might just splice two together. I know that's a no-no, but I think I can get away with it. Perhaps my speed will be bumped down due to the splice, but I think I can live with it for a few days until the cable arrives.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back