TechSpot

extended desktop troubles, save me...!

By boaby
Feb 2, 2006
  1. Hi, trying to setup an extended desktop on a crt, to output my tuner card and for video editing. I'm using WinXP Pro sp2, DirectX 9.0c and a Saphire X550 PCI-E, with the pc-monitor on vga and the tv on s-vid.

The tv itself recieves a signal but the pictures distorted - theres these white choppy bands zigzagging across the whole screen. Here is a pic (taken with a camera-phone, sorry) of the extended desktop in windows...
    [​IMG]

Now the weird thing is while i get the above in windows, the tv gets a perfect signal when the pc is booting, ie the POST information shows up fine...
    [​IMG]

I'm confused why when windows kicks in i get the distortion. Tried messing around with refresh rates, different profiles, etc but no joy. I also tried the following with no success:

- tried the 5.11 catalyst drivers
    - tried the 5.13 catalyst drivers
    - tried the omega drivers
    - tried tweaking with ati tools

Any idea's, ive spent weeks on this problem and its driving me insane. Any info/help appreciated.

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Is the TV actually set for S-Video input and not composite?

3. boaby

boaby TS Rookie Topic Starter

The tv doesnt actually have a s-video input. The s-vid from the card is connected to a scart block which goes into the TV.

After a bit of messing around i was able to get a clear signal on the tv within windows but this was with no drivers installed (?), so i know for sure its a software issue now.

Noticed a new set of ati drivers out so i tried them with a fresh install of the .NET pack but no luck so far, still get a distorted image.

Its either a driver issue or one tiny little setting somewhere. Quest continues, any advice still welcome.

4. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

using tv like that will always do something of the sorts.. it just depends if your tv can handle it or not (its usualy a hi res image that the card is compressing for s-video output due to bandwith difference).. also might want to try setting it on a lower res, cloned mode and extended mode see what happens

when i connect my pc to the tv via svideo->composite adaptor->tv it turns out something similar, setting it to lowest 640xsomething and generic drivers (eg. what you see in post) usualy works.. although looking at it still gives me a headache (abit fuzzy).. the tv in the kitchen works better, but hte screen is too small for anything.. therefore i just used 2nd vga to a projector.. :D

i'd suggest you get a crt monitor thats 21" should do the job for you or a tv that can take 15pin/vga connection (way better than svid), ohterwise if you got the wallspace invest in a projector ;)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.