External USB hard drive not recognised on Windows after plugging it into a Mac

By ddonog115
Mar 13, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Hi

Thanks for any help in advance..

I own a WD MyBook 4TB hard drive, which I've used on Windows for the past 2 years. I got a macbook last week and hooked the drive into it, some error message came up so I figured it wouldn't work, however when I went to plug it back into my windows machine I got the "USB device not recognised" message, the laptop is windows 8. I then tried it on my fathers windows xp computer and it seemed to think it was a completely new hard drive..

I've done some googling on it but I just wanted to ask here incase I went formatting it by mistake or anything..any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,283   +281

Sounds like you made some procedural error, allowing the Mac to alter the partition - - bad choice.

Using Windows tools, examine the partition on that drive - - should show up as
    somelabel (dl): size HTFS
    Healthy
    (other qualifiers)​

Try Control Panel ->Admin Tools->Computer Mgmt->Disk Mgmt
  3. ddonog115

ddonog115 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks for your reply..

I checked in the win xp machine in disk management and its not showing up..I'll try the windows 8 one later to see..would formatting it and then running a file recovery program be any good..?
  4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,283   +281

Reformatting is a kiss-of-death if you want to recover any data.

move it back to Mac and extract what you want first.

THEN come back to Windows and reformat as NTFS
  5. ddonog115

The mac didn't seem to be recognising it either, I only plugged it in when an error message came up..I'll post what the message was when I get home in a few hours and try it again..
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,415   +281

Can you hear the drive spinning up at all when you plug it in (both power and usb)? If it never worked on the Mac, and then didn't work on subsequent Windows, I don't think the Mac did anything to it and it was just an extreme coincidence that the drive failed at that time. What does Disk Utility in OS X say?
  7. ddonog115

Yea I can hear it spinning up until the error message comes up on either platform..
    The error message on the mac is:

NTFS-3G could not mount /dev/disk1s2
    at /Volumes/Untitled because the following problem occurred:

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib
    Referenced from: /usr/local/bin/ntfs-3g
    Reason: image not found

In Disk utility it says this..I took a screenshot..

http://i59.tinypic.com/nmd9c2.png

Thanks
  8. SNGX1275

Click down on disk1s1 and then in the bottom left of that window there should be a blue underlined (like a link) mount point. Click that and see what happens.
  9. ddonog115

I tried that and it wouldn't let me mount it..however I removed fuse and the ntfs-3g apps from the laptop and it can read the hard drive again! thanks for all the help
  10. SNGX1275

Cool, glad you got it sorted.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.