Extraterrestrial

twite

What do you think. Do you believe in "aliens"? Spirits? Do you think there is life out there besides that on the earth?

I believe there is life out there not on earth. Not necessarily in the same galaxy, but there is so much space and so many things beyond the Milky Way that there has to be some other place that can host living things (even though we will never know for sure). I also believe in spirits, I believe that there are sometimes spirits around us of people from our past but that cant directly interfere with life... but have some ways of letting thier presence be known. I have had too many wierd yet distinct experiences to not believe in this.

Yeah, i feel the same way as you.

The world, the universe, is a very, very strange place.

My girlfriend says I look into everything I think about too much, but that is somthing that has crossed my mind a time or two. Outer space, it is kinda hard to understand how large and empty it could be outside of the Milky Way and how things would just stay in place. I guess I would have to see it to fully understand.

Yeh, it is very confusing. Philosophy and i have a love/hate relationship. It's hard to explain. Its like, when you think about this stuff, you get nowhere..and its frustrating...but then you think about why you are thinking about it. Idk.
The only thing that makes sense to me about the universe is anti-matter. It explains why the universe doesn't end (boundary wise). I Could never figure out how it was possible for something to "not end". And it was very frustrating, and rather creepy.

From what I have always understood is that the universe does end, although it is billions of light years away and ever expanding. I have read that it was all cause by the big bang theory where there was a single atom that exploded and yada yada yada and one day it would stop expanding and would under go something called like the big smash thoery or something where everything would all be sucked back in and compacted( kinda the reverse of the big bang thoery). But who really knows. IDK.

Well, given that we bascially don't understand anything in relation to outer space and the universe, I'd say there would be life, outside earth.

Not only this universe is considered infinite, there are also theories of "alternate universes" going around.... And goodness knows how many of these are out there!

I've heard of that theory in a movie... can't remember the name of it now... It also mentions that the big bang, and the "big smash" will happen over and over again, in precisely the same manner over and over again for all of time. Which kinda makes sense, if there will be such a thing as a "big smash".

But I don't think its gonna happen. The universe is expanding outwards, and the theory behind it is from the existance of anti-matter, which behaves exactly like matter. For it to happen, all this anti-matter would have to move towards the heart of the big-bang... and any reason why would it do so?

anti matter says this..there is a reflection of everything that exists. Which makes perfect sense to me..on how the universe goes on for ever..because theoretically, a reflection can go on for ever (or at least until the end)

If the universe does end..then whats past he universe....i know it doesn't make sense..but its kinda like when they thought the earth was flat. What..do you just fall off the edge into an non-existancy. And, how is it here. How did this atoms get there. Is the universe just floating in the middle of something that doesn't exist? Very weird.

Hi,

Perhaps you could look at it this way:
Existence and non existence; two polar opposites that co exist that support each other although they are inherently antagonistic.
The universe/dimension which we live in is expanding indefinitely. The scope of our knowledge has not been able to comprehend even much of that, much less the 'non-existence' which our universe is expanding into. Considering the such possibilities, the probability that life is being created/has been created/has advanced and evolved by some extent that we do not know elsewhere within or outside this universe is very very high.

Regards,
Momok =)

Well thanks for adding to the confusion. Your words do make complete since... only they just add more room for expansion of the conversation. But I think this converasation has the capacity of the universe... it could keep expanding and expanding with no definate end.... only until it collapses and isnt talked about anymore.

But I think this converasation has the capacity of the universe... it could keep expanding and expanding with no definate end.... only until it collapses and isnt talked about anymore.
lol.

Anyway, I just thought that it would be weird to discuss the possibility of extraterrestrial life without discussing the factors which influence the probabilities.

cheers,
Momok =)

Ever read the Revelation of John? It is very interesting and also makes sense. Definitely alot simpler plan than going into infinite nowhere.

No, I havent read it but have heard here-say. What does it state?

I can see this going from endless discussion to brutal debate within 12 hours.

lol..if I may para-phrase, it states that ET stayed home. Would like to see some cool type of transport vehicle though! Just for the awesome electronics and stuff.

I absolutely love to watch all of the UFO TV shows on History Channel and other such cable stations. For me, these shows open up my imagination to think about what would happen if aliens did show up at some point. However, I have to admit that, despite loggin many enjoyable hours watching these shows, I have not seen what I consider to be definitive proof that they exist. I also think that all the theories of the universe (Big Bang, etc.) are simply the best that we can come up with at this point in our scientific development, just like a flat earth that the sun circled about was the best that the best scientific minds of the day could come up with prior to Galileo and his telescope. Two hundred years from now, school kids will be laughing at what we believed was hard science...

Yeh, as you said, i have never seen anything that I can be 100% confident that "outer" life does exist. But I have heard stories, that are very convincing...If there is "outer life", and the universe is infinite, then that means there is infinite amount of life. Odd.

CMH said:
ET rode a bike :D Bikes are eco-friendly = good

:D:D:D

that made my day, lol. Aliens care about the ozone too? Yes I believe in other life forms, we have no reason to not believe this, we probably know about 4% of what's out there, that's how much has been explored with a telescope. and I doubt its even 4% being as though telescopes can only see so far. Sorry, too hard to believe that I was just dropped off to love computers by a higher power. I'll tell you what i said to my mother and she punched me in the chest, lol. "What if an arrogant SOB decided to write a book and dropped it in a whole one day, someone then found it years later, thought to be the basis of a "religion"" All I'm saying is that anything is possible.!

I have had that same argument with my mother. Just because someone decides to write something down doesn't mean it is true. Well...off subject..lets get out of religion as it will start a controversy.

twite said:
I have had that same argument with my mother. Just because someone decides to write something down doesn't mean it is true. Well...off subject..lets get out of religion as it will start a controversy.

Well we can both say that we may think there are other life forms. Rather it be supernatural or natural?

Aliens; if you consider yourself a Realist, it's one of those things that can mess with you!

For all we know there may be life out there somewhere. We can't prove or dis-prove otherwise. Chances are that in some far-off Galaxy there is a planet near enough to a sun and the evolution process is in full-swing.

I like to think that is the case.

But spirits ... I don't hold much belief in this. Granted we can't prove or dis-prove otherwise, but Thinking from a realist's point of view once again I don't see how something like that is possible. We simply cease to exist after we die (in my eyes).

Take an Agnostic's point of view to life and religeon, in that if there isn't enough proof to justify the existence of something, don't believe it; but don't totally wave out the possibility of some divine answer. If a ghost did pop up and say hello, then believe it!

Life elsewhere in the universe : highly probable.

But then that would imply the existance of more than one god (unless the same god created life there too (perhaphs this time in more than 7 days)).

Spirits/ghosts : most unlikely. For one thing Saddam's ghost would have gotten George by now.

Actually, ET made the kid pedal the bike while he rode in the basket.

Thus proving that aliens want to be our overlords.

Ya think?

:)

What makes me think, is how people say that the universe never ends. That itself is confusing to think, especially since everything has an end right? Well, you start to think; does space end, and if it does, isn't it inside something else. I'm confused :suspiciou .......

Back