Extreme Sound Card Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All..I hate having to make a horrible introduction like this, so sorry for what im about to dump on ya's.

I am having the worst possible problem in all my time with computers and I simply cannot figure out how to go about correcting it.

Recently my sound (onboard sound) failed on me and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I browsed about 40 different forums on how to fix this problem and basically, no one really gave a definitive answer (including a few threads here, that were based on the problem, though they were from long ago). There just doesn't seem to be any conclusion for some weird reason.

But anyway, this is whats going on. I tried to play an mp3 in WinAmp and get the error "BAD DIRECTSOUND DRIVER. PLEASE INSTALL PROPER DRIVERS OR CHOOSE ANOTHER DEVICE. ERROR 88780078". Now again, I tried every recommendation possible, and here they are:

1. Uninstalled & Reinstalled the hardware through Device Manager, and let WinXP pick it back up. That didn't help anything whatsover.

2. Reinstalled Sound Drivers. No Go
3. Installed DX9c, TWICE. Nothing.
4. Disabled/Enabled the AUDIO setting in BIOS. Didnt help.
5. Removed all the native Codecs in the AUDIO secion in Device Manager, and reinstalled them through the ADD HARDWARE WIZARD (MMDRIVER.INF). Nothing.

6. Uninstalled/Reinstalled MOBO drivers again. ZERO.
7. Went to Control Panel, as well as DXDIAG, to try and see if I can mess around with settings. EVERYTHING is GREYED OUT.

Well that about covers all the basic (and some advanced) trouble shooting. No, i have not reformatted, nor have i installed WINXP again, and thats because I cannot at this time. I have a plethora of things to backup 1st, nor the space to do it, and anyways, I cant see that needing to be done just to fix a sound problem. Others who had a similar problem as me, did just that, and it still DID NOT fix the issue. So it would just be a waste time to spend 2hours formatting/installing XP and still have the issue there.

But wait, it get better. I bought a Creative Audigy2 and installed that about 2 hours ago. Im thinking to myself "Well, my onboard audio was old and outdated and maybe it just died". I install the Audigy, its drivers, etc. I Reboot, and again.....NOTHING. Same damn things. Same Errors, Same symptoms. I truly cannot believe that this is happening with an expansion card, and a very good one, at that.

Oh, and did I mention that DEVICE MANAGER shows the Audigy, and says its FUNCTIONING, yet WINAMP, C-PANEL area, and other apps (Creative APPs as well) simply do not detect the card. Keeps saying things like "NO DEVICE IS INSTALLED".."ERROR GETTING DEVICE", etc. I ran the Creative Diagnostic Test, and yes, the HARDWARE IS DETECTED, but everything else fails, such as, the midi check, wav check, mixer check, etc.

Can someone please, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaasse tell me what is wrong? Did something get corrupted or deleted within Windows Multimedia Component? Is there something on the MOBO that controls your AUDIO (whether it be onboard or an add-on card) and maybe that is fried? Is it a DIRECTSOUND/DX problem?

There is obviously something SERVERLY WRONG and I cannot figure this out. Im no computer expert, but I do know the basics and some more advanced things, but this has just gotten beyond ridiculous. I simply cannot believe that my comp/OS has gotten so FUBAR'D somehow, that it REFUSES TO ACCEPT a dang sound card. This is crazy, as well as depressing when you cant play games, listen to music, or basically do anything that involves multimedia or...FUN. :(

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Have you tried doing a repair install of Windows as per this thread HERE? this would leave all your data intact.

I would also suggest that you go into bios and disable the onboard sound just in case of conflicts.

Maybe try a different pci slot for you new soundcard.

Personally I`d go with the repair install and see if that helps. Please note that after a repair install you will have to reinstall windows updates.

Regards and good luck Howard :wave: :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back