F9 exists in a parallel universe where Red's Hydrogen One was a good phone

onetheycallEric

Staff
WTF?! The now defunct Red Hydrogen One makes a few cameos in the new F9 trailer, and while the phone wasn't a success in this universe, it'll be immortalized in the Fast and Furious universe.

The F9: The Fast Saga trailer has landed, and it resurrects more than just characters from the past. The Fast and Furious movies rife with fantastical improbabilities -- including the fact that this is the 9th installment in the franchise. The movies are not exactly known for their accurate portrayal of technology either, despite their often futurist themes. See: Hobbs & Shaw.

I don't want to come down too hard on Vin and the boys here; I tend to enjoy the movies for what they are. It just takes forgiving comically outdated and absurd references such as "hacking the mainframe" and understanding that most problems can be solved with car chases and explosions.

Case in point: in the trailer, the disappointing Red Hydrogen One phone is the handset of choice for multiple characters, as it adorns the dashboards of their cars. You see, in the F9 universe, Red never abandoned the phone business and the Hydrogen One wasn't an overpriced critical failure. Cue car chase.

In one of the scenes, the Hydrogen One can be briefly seen displaying a radar or GPS system, which is always nice to have when you need to defy the laws of physics and gravity with Dodge Chargers and rocket-powered Pontiac Fieros. I don't recall that being a feature shipped with the phone, but perhaps one of the promised add-on modules that never materialized could've added it.

In all seriousness, it isn't far fetched to imagine that those in the movie industry would have a natural proclivity to work with a phone made by Red, as these are the same people that are already using Red's high-end cameras. No doubt, filming took place before the phone's untimely demise, trapping the Red Hydrogen One in time and leaving us to wonder what could've been.

F9 will arrive to theaters later this year on May 22nd. It's presently undetermined if the Red Hydrogen One will reprise its role for the sequel in 2021.

Permalink to story.

If you are looking for something that makes sense, you are in the wrong movie category.

A car-racing fairy tale, with over-the-hill car racer wannabes / actors, on intense weight-loss program, struggling to put some moves on.

Never mind a failed phone promotion, they raised Han from the dead - FFS!

Last edited:
If you are looking for something that makes sense, you are in the wrong movie category.

A car-racing fairy tale, with over-the-hill car racer wannabes / actors, on intense weight-loss program, struggling to put some moves on.

Never mind a failed phone promotion, they raised Han from the dead - FFS!

No, I don't expect them to make sense. They've just become increasingly nonsensical since 2001.

Han is back cause of the death of Paul Walker. If that hadnt happened Han would likely still be dead or assumed dead.

I liked the character Han. Im glad hes back. I like the movies, all of them. Just a cool action n car movie. Last move made over a Billion dollars so obviously ppl like them.

Lot of people like Cena too just like when the Rock was in them.

Han is back cause of the death of Paul Walker. If that hadnt happened Han would likely still be dead or assumed dead.

I liked the character Han. Im glad hes back. I like the movies, all of them. Just a cool action n car movie. Last move made over a Billion dollars so obviously ppl like them.

Lot of people like Cena too just like when the Rock was in them.

Yeah, I'm just poking fun at it a bit. It'll be a fun movie, I'm sure.

When is this series going to end? Has the world not been subjected to enough already?

What Red Hydrogen One phone???

Too busy watching illogical crazy nonsense explosions and car physics to notice what cell phone was being used by anyone in this trailer.

Honestly I don't take much notice of any phones used in shows, movies, TV, etc... I rather enjoy what I'm watching, or in the case of anything Fast/Furious related, VROOOOM, BOOOOM, Gear Shifts, EXPLOSIONS!!! Can't say that they're great movies, but they are entertaining.

What Red Hydrogen One phone???

Too busy watching illogical crazy nonsense explosions and car physics to notice what cell phone was being used by anyone in this trailer.

Honestly I don't take much notice of any phones used in shows, movies, TV, etc... I rather enjoy what I'm watching, or in the case of anything Fast/Furious related, VROOOOM, BOOOOM, Gear Shifts, EXPLOSIONS!!! Can't say that they're great movies, but they are entertaining.

Cmon. Not even the phone Neo was using in Matrix back in the day? I believe I remember it was a prop but when the movie launched there was so much interest Samsung or Motorola (can’t remember now which) made it into an actual phone? Curious what phone they will be using in Matrix 4 when it comes out.. ;-)

When is this series going to end? Has the world not been subjected to enough already?
You do realize vin disel had a contract for 3 more when paul walker died. He had to do 3 more as he was under contract. So he isnt just making these movies for the heck of it or milking them. Which is also why there is one more coming after F9. Next years sequel to F9 eill likely be the final one. If people are spending tons of money to watch your movies would you stop making them. Didnt think so.
Hobbs n Shaw was a spin off for a cash grab tho. I did like it still but it wasnt a disel movie.

Just a bit of a correction, RED cameras aren't as popular as they used to be in the film industry. In the last few years, fewer films have been shot with them.

Cmon. Not even the phone Neo was using in Matrix back in the day? I believe I remember it was a prop but when the movie launched there was so much interest Samsung or Motorola (can’t remember now which) made it into an actual phone? Curious what phone they will be using in Matrix 4 when it comes out.. ;-)
Nokia - it was a Nokia phone that combined the shape of the 8110 (which didn't have the auto-slide) and the auto-slide functionality of the 7110.

They did. I can't remember which brand but I had one. They didn't slide automatically like in the movie though, which was disappointing but still it was a great phone at the time.

I agree with the comments that it is an entertaining series. I actually got my wife to watch it because they also have heart. According to an interview that I heard with, I think, Vin Diesel he said they are about family.

Many movies/TV shows (ex. Lost in Space) require a complete suspension of disbelief these days. ;) Those same many are often very entertaining.

Possible spoilers follow:

From Lost in Space: Question: "How far away are we?" Answer from a supposed scientific genius: "I don't know. Trillions of light years maybe." Accepted size of the universe allowing for expansion - 46 billion light years. https://phys.org/news/2015-10-big-universe.html

But the series has, IMO, picked up the entertainment in season 2.

Back