Facebook, Google, Twitter must comply with Russia's data storage law or face sanctions

1. In the wake of Snowden's revelations, Russia enacted a new law in July requiring all Internet companies conducting business in the country to store Russian citizens' personal data in local data centers.

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

I agree with it. When in Russia do as the Russians, respect and abide by their laws. You don't march into another country and run roughshod all over it trying to enforce your terms & conditions (unless you're hankering to spark a war that is).
    P.S. No. I'm not Russian, I'm retired so I'm not rushin' anywhere.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 245   +69

It's a cloud for crying out loud. Russians want the data there so they can access it. The primary goal of these laws/regulations are to squash free speech, and intimidate those who criticize Putin.
    erickmendes and chip igmo like this.
  4. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 819   +385

Not sure what news you've been reading/hearing, but the Russian people support Putin.
    VitalyT likes this.
  5. Yes, "support." See line above.
  6. Uh Skid, how exactly are these companies "Marching into" Russia? Users from the country are coming out to them. Why should a tech company bend over backwards because a country gets butthurt?
  7. Ok so if I understand correctly, if I have a web site and one person from Russia buy something then I need to have his/her data store in a server there??
  8. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 860   +308

I'm with Putin on this one
  9. deemon

deemon TS Booster Posts: 199   +46

Good news! ... no facebook, twitter and google for russians soon :)
    erickmendes likes this.
  10. If you are operating a website in Russia, then yes, you have to comply with their laws.
  11. Indeed. Even vocal Russian critics of Putin support him as well.
  12. Evernessince

Evernessince TS Evangelist Posts: 1,104   +533

And the German people supported Hitler. The Russian government has gotten more and more controlling over the years, most media outlets cannot even talk negative about the government. It definitely reminds me of the old soviet union.

I haven't been to russia recently but I can say that their actions lately don't put them in a positive light, especially when you have an exhibitionist like putin in power.
  13. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 272   +127

I met a gentleman recently (from Russia) who is in the process of getting his green card in the States. When I made a joke about the Soviet Russian government never dying, he laughed and said "The Soviet government influence has never died, it's the same re-branded system as it always has been. Putin isn't crazy. He knows his limits with the United States right now. He's very smart."

It's always interesting to hear from the inside perspective.
  14. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 819   +385

There are many news outlets on the web where real news can be obtained, yet it seems that many choose to be spook-fed the bias that's coming from certain top new stations. While many believe that Putin is a dumb, the Russian government is developing their relations with the other parts of the world that would allow them to be completely self-sufficient. An example of this can be seen from the retaliatory sanctions Russia has placed against the West.
    This is a good time to tread carefully.
  15. erickmendes

erickmendes TS Enthusiast Posts: 37

In the age of cloud resources... It's the same logic used in labor. So why don't they prohibit USA from manufacturing products in Asia, and demand their own factories to produce in USA? Countries are demanding that so their internal data storage industry grow and they get better control over citizens data... I trust my personal data more on a international company than my own country's gov. And the startups and little services? How are they supposed to maintain international user base that way?

Brasil had this proposition on it's Internet Bill too, thankfully it had been took out. It's pure garbage.