TechSpot

Facebook: Outage caused by internal DNS tinkering, not Anonymous

By Matthew
Dec 10, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As the second major tech site to experience widespread downtime today, Facebook appears to be recovering from an outage that has lasted for more than an hour. Early into the interruption, users believed the problem pertained to a DNS issue....

Read more
  2. Bark4Soul

Bark4Soul TS Member Posts: 96

So why would it work just fine on a Mac, and not so great on windows? I dont mean to sound dumb but maybe I am lol
  3. Cause you may be using 2 different DNS servers on each computer.

Anyone person or ISP using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) would have experienced an outage getting to facebook earlier today.

But anyone using alternate DNS servers such as those used by Level3 or OpenDNS or home run dns servers would have not been affected and would have experienced no outage at all.

it was dns related not server related.
  4. Jbucko

Jbucko TS Rookie Posts: 33

Some people could use a break from FB, an hour is not enough
  5. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I live how a suposed member of ANON tried to take credit. It does my heart good to laugh about that. I mean really. ANON may be filled with a bunch idjits, but when they take down a site they take that site down. To have it up in about a hour is not only impressive skills on FB end, but also points out that the person claimimg to be ANON and commiting the deed, was simply a poser. Besides FB needs to go down for about a week, so ppl can actually talk and meet to socialize. So much has gone into keeping us in our little domiciles. Not going out. Not interacting with real people.
  6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 810   +91

>_> A lot of the people that use facebook are pretty young, and a lot of the younger folks are into some kind of education raging from middle school to college

They communicate with other people in person by default lol. PC/Console games keep more people inside since you can't take them with you, unlike facebook

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.