TechSpot

Facebook testing auto-play for videos, precursor to video ads

By Shawn Knight
Sep 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook is in the process of testing a new mobile feature for Android and iOS users that will automatically play videos embedded in a News Feed as you scroll through it. The clips will initially play silently and if you...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,085   +1,799

It's a good thing I'm not a FB user. I'm sure Twitter will also have something like this in the pipeline. Good thing I'm not a user of that as well or any other social networking site.

3. Jamibi

Jamibi TS Rookie Posts: 21

Just wasting my data limit on crappy ads on facebook. Not funny :/

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 804   +192

Lot's of websites are doing this now and I F*CKING HATE IT! I close the website immediately and I usually don't come back. Pissing off your customers is not a good business practice.

5. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +965

Yeah seriously. FB screws up again.

6. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Evangelist Posts: 809   +102

I really hate it on other websites because the sound will start playing first even if you don't click on it

7. Arris

Arris TS Evangelist Posts: 4,550   +231

Time to abandon ship. Good way to eat up peoples limited data allowances. Thinking with their wallets, not their brains. Fingers crossed there is a "wi-fi only" setting.

8. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TS Guru Posts: 546

So long as theres the option to disable it.

9. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Yet more bloat to contend with! I hate sites with pop up ads that are often difficult to close down. Another pain is sites that seem to grab memory and stop working. Toms Hardware is a pretty poor site for that.

10. negroplasty

negroplasty TS Maniac Posts: 516   +12

If they do this I'll just pull out of FB. G+ has a way better experience anyway, FB only needs to be dumb a couple times and they'll be the next MySpace. Smooth move, greedy bastards.

11. MarkHughes

MarkHughes TS Enthusiast Posts: 51   +14

I only visit there once or twice a day and treat it more like an email client, this would be reason enough for me to call it a day on that site, I hate video ads with a passion especially if they have sound and Facebook won't work with Adblock.