Facebook's Internet-sharing drones to begin testing next year, multiple challenges still remain

Shawn Knight

Staff member

facebook internet-connected google social network drones project loon internet.org titan aerospace connectivity lab yael maguire

Web titans Facebook and Google continue to press forward with their respective plans to deliver Internet connectivity to those living off the grid in remote parts of the world but as Facebook’s Yael Maguire recently discussed during a talk at the Social Good Summit in New York City, there are a whole bunch of challenges that must be overcome before either company can reach the finish line.

Maguire, the engineering director of Facebook’s recently launched Connectivity Lab, told those in attendance that they’re going to have to push the edge of solar technology, battery technology and composite technology for starters.

Once the technical hurdles have been cleared, Facebook will still have to contend with a number of regulatory and operational roadblocks.

As Maguire explains, the solar-powered drones they aim to deploy will have to fly above weather and all regulated airspace which could be anywhere between 60,000 to 90,000 feet. That’ll be tricky in terms of regulations because there currently aren’t any regulations for aircraft flying above 60,000 feet.

Perhaps even more challenging for Facebook and others is the fact that regulations currently dictate that there must be one human operator for every drone deployed – something that’ll no doubt become an issue in terms of widespread deployment.  

Even with all of the challenges still ahead, the Connectivity Lab will be ready to test their drones sometime next year at an undisclosed location. As for a full rollout, that could be ready within the next two to five years, Maguire said.

Permalink to story.

All this talk of drones...

This is just going to give some group of guys a new hobby. Drone shooting... such a terrible idea.

Yea, lets put all kinds of unmanned flying things in the air, and hope nobody gets hurt.

This is just going to give some group of guys a new hobby. Drone shooting... such a terrible idea.

Yea, lets put all kinds of unmanned flying things in the air, and hope nobody gets hurt.

I'll reply to myself before someone else does....

60,000 to 90,000 feet in the air might make it some really difficult target practice... but with that distance, will it actually provide anything usable? Or even with the time and money put into it?

Hmm how do you get a signal over such a long distance? I assume it would be some kinda of backhaul deal that would feed down to terrestrial towers and spread out from there but still, it will be challenging for sure!

You should take a look at the Google loon project. What they do is, they talk to other balloons/drones and eventually get the request to a server on the ground. Its kinda how satellite internet works but with less latency because its closer than the satellites. Google's project loon is trying to put LTE on the balloons/drones.

What about the space under 60000 the it travels through when launching? Wouldn't regulations apply to it then?

I'll reply to myself before someone else does....

60,000 to 90,000 feet in the air might make it some really difficult target practice... but with that distance, will it actually provide anything usable? Or even with the time and money put into it?
Well, if satellite internet works at 22,300 *MILES* above earth, I'm sure they can find some way for this to work lol.

60,000 to 90,000 feet is only 11 to 17 miles. The signal strength and bandwidth on offer would be so much better than the current satellite internet available in the kinds of countries this project is designed for.

I hope they get the regulatory bits sorted for this. Easily accessible internet usage will be such a boon to more deprived areas of the world.

Back