TechSpot

Failed windows update

By TimeParadoX
Jul 17, 2008
  1. Every time I attempt to do a Windows update it says failed, I'm trying to install the Windows Installer 3.1 and it keeps saying it fails. Also, when I shutdown the computer and let the updates install that way it just says "Installing update 1 of 8..." and stays there for a minute then shutdown without installing anything.

Is there a way to fix this? Also, could I download the WIndows Installer 3.1 .exe from Microsoft without using the auto update tool? Or how can I delete previously downloaded updates that fail to install?

Any help will be appreciated, this is one of the most annoying problems I've had with Windows.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

3. TimeParadoX

TimeParadoX TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 2,273

Thanks Kim, the last link you gave me on the Windows Fix is said by Avast! to carry a trojan, although it's probably not true I can't use it. I'll try the other things you linked and tell you the results.

4. TimeParadoX

It works, thanks Kimsland. I just had to put a few things in CMD that was told to me through the Microsoft troubleshooter. ( Never knew the troubleshooter actually helped any, most of the time it's just giving you stupid answers. :> )

5. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

I have scanned with Avast Free edition with current updates (Note: this is just an Antivirus program) No virus found

Are you sure?

6. TimeParadoX

It was the web client that got it, I downloaded it and before it finished it had that yellow bar on the bottom saying it was infected, so I just canceled and deleted. I got it all working though, so there is no need to download it now. :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.