Failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are an *****, do your own homework. Google helps, they even published a report on consumer hd failures that they were using in servers.

i shall elaborate on my project;
my goal is to design a sata raid system(0 or 0+1) with a 5.25 formfactor that connects to a PCI card using a ribbon to cut down on parts.i want to do this using stock parts with internal case mods. when i say case mods i mean putting hard drives in a box not moding the computer case. the stock parts is only for saving time incase i cant complete the project.
This is for my senior project in a comptia course and i told my teacher about my idea and he said(paraphrased)"that is a stupid idea. people use raid to backup files not to speed the computer up. Hds are prone to failure so that is a bad idea"
part of my goal is to make this so foolproof in design that a non-nerd could install this and that (if i put in on market) i feel so confident in my product i can give it a replacement garuntee.

You can't fit two 3.5" drives in a single 5.25" space, so the only choice would be 2.5" notebook drives. I'd say that with two of these and reasonable placement, you don't have to worry about heat and vibration that much. These things are designed to be used in a very unstable and cramped environment.

IMHO a ribbon cable is not a good idea. It is a PITA to route and it obstructs airflow. Your product will be much easier to manage if you use standard round SATA cables.

Ideally, you would design the thing so that one can hot-swap a failed hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back