Fallout 4 is official: Watch the first trailer

Julio Franco

Staff member

Fallout is back! Set to take place in post-apocalyptic Boston, the open-world RPG is coming to the PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. An official site for Fallout 4 is now live, though the biggest teaser is the trailer above with Bethesda expected to show more at E3 next June 14th.

It's been nearly 7 years since Fallout 3 arrived to massive critical acclaim. In 2010, Fallout: New Vegas offered more content and gameplay for craving Fallout fans, though it's not considered a direct sequel and was not developed in-house by Bethesda, it was very well received as well.

Permalink to story.

Sweet! Now I need to go back and actually play 3 and NV. I spent several hours modding but only played for about 30-60 minutes. Game looks great but my playtime has decreased so much over the years that I just haven't gotten around to it.

War, war never changes. And so does Bethesda game engine. By the time F4 comes out, CDPR will have first ingame videos of Cyberpunk '77 and it will look ridiculous in comparison.

Not sure how I feel about this one as Fallout 3 didn't really impress me that much.

Fallout New Vegas on the other hand... awesome!
But Obsidian did that one, not Beth.

Also, is it just me or those graphics look slightly dated?
Lighting looks decent though.

I never could get into that game.... was always more of a STALKER fan. Graphics don't look all that impressive in this trailer though. Maybe it is the lack of vegetation but open world games like Far Cry look better in my opinion.

Go back and actually play 3 and NV.
Same here however, I am unable to get Fallout 3 to actually play on my PC? Got it on Steam but when I try to play it just doesn't. poked around and got it working for like 5 minutes then it crashed?!

From what I can tell, the game doesn't support Windows Vista/7 and really only runs well on XP.
How have you got it running so well :p

Go back and actually play 3 and NV.
Same here however, I am unable to get Fallout 3 to actually play on my PC? Got it on Steam but when I try to play it just doesn't. poked around and got it working for like 5 minutes then it crashed?!

From what I can tell, the game doesn't support Windows Vista/7 and really only runs well on XP.
How have you got it running so well :p
I played it on 7 countless times--never ever had problems. Virtually most games that run on XP will run on 7 and 8. I wouldn't be surprised if GFWL or the lack of it is causing you problems.

I played both 3 and NV on Win 7 and they both ran just fine.

Can't wait for this one! The Fallout series is arguably the best in all gaming, IMNHO.

I played it on 7 countless times--never ever had problems. Virtually most games that run on XP will run on 7 and 8. I wouldn't be surprised if GFWL or the lack of it is causing you problems.
Ah, never thought about GFWL, yeah I've had nothing but issues, I bought Fallout 3 last year and I was on Windows 8.1 at the time, it just refused to play.

I went back to Windows 7 and I can get it to run but only for a few minutes before weird things start to happen then it'll just crash.

I'll go looking see if lacking GFWL is the cause :)

Edit: Right on the steam page:

"Notice: Fallout 3 is not optimized for Windows 7 and later."

And Top Review:

"Be warned however that this game is old, and will need quite a lot of tweaking to get working on Windows 7 or later."

SO basically, it can't just be me :p

Last edited:
@ Burty117 I cannot believe myself now, but I was early adopter of Windows 7 and I used its preview version as my main and only OS since (early?) 2008 and all the games that came out after that date I played on this OS and don't recall anything extraordinary about installing Skyrim/Fallout on Win 7. If anything your download may be corrupted? Missing dll's? But that would leave some 'events' in the system? Or, since I havn't played for a while, some recent M$ updates left it incompatible?

@ Burty117 I cannot believe myself now, but I was early adopter of Windows 7 and I used its preview version as my main and only OS since (early?) 2008 and all the games that came out after that date I played on this OS and don't recall anything extraordinary about installing Skyrim/Fallout on Win 7. If anything your download may be corrupted? Missing dll's? But that would leave some 'events' in the system? Or, since I havn't played for a while, some recent M$ updates left it incompatible?
Early Fallout 3 had TONS of game breaking bugs. Many pirates didn't get the patches(piracy and all) and still hold resentment against the series simply because it was essentially broken at launch.

War, war never changes. And so does Bethesda game engine. By the time F4 comes out, CDPR will have first ingame videos of Cyberpunk '77 and it will look ridiculous in comparison.
As someone who has heavily modded damn near every Bethesda game from Morrowind to Skyrim, I can assure you their engine changes plenty. The core files are similar, but the extensions are completely different. (you can't go from DX8 to DX 11 without changing a few things)
From what I can see, that does look rendered in game. You can see polygons on trees, barrels, and other objects with rounded edges. However, we've seen tons of games with a cinematic trailer rendered with the game engine and it looks nothing like the game.

Anyway, I'm going to nostalgia myself out for the next few weeks and try to forget that F4 isn't out yet

Hardcore gamer here and I'm pushing 40 years of age.Through the years I've played hundreds of titles.Non of which were of the Fallout series. After watching this trailer that probably won't change.Not a fan of post-apocalyptic settings(Half life is the closest I've come) but if done right I'm sure I would try it.

Had this been a Massive Online Persistent(MOBA's killed the term "MMO") I would be more inclined to give it a shot since that genre appeals to me more than anything besides RTS and Racers.

Hardcore gamer here and I'm pushing 40 years of age.Through the years I've played hundreds of titles.Non of which were of the Fallout series. After watching this trailer that probably won't change.Not a fan of post-apocalyptic settings(Half life is the closest I've come) but if done right I'm sure I would try it.

Had this been a Massive Online Persistent(MOBA's killed the term "MMO") I would be more inclined to give it a shot since that genre appeals to me more than anything besides RTS and Racers.
Well the thing about fallout games is that they're covered in a layer of satire that keeps you laughing as much as you're screaming in terror. And it's not just like metro where it's survival horror. The fallout series creates a world you care about and want to help it. Bethesda games are known for this kind of thing. If you've never played a fallout game I suggest you pick up new vegas. It's reasonably price and it's my personal favorite between F3 and NV. you've got 40 years without playing a fallout game, it's time

Yeah, I met some "hardcore" gamers before on cs source a few years ago. Don't think they had ever played anything else except cs 1.6 and source. One of them informed me he had "heard of quake 3", the other had not.
Totally hardcore!
If you haven't played the fallout series you have missed out on some seriously good games imo!

I spent good time playing Fallout 3. Really did not like New Vegas. Seemed just a different story within the same game. Presume we are at least 18 months away from the release date?

Wasn't keen on the post apocalyptic setting either then I played FO3.

I spent good time playing Fallout 3. Really did not like New Vegas. Seemed just a different story within the same game. Presume we are at least 18 months away from the release date?
Steam has it available on presale. Hoping that means in a few months?

I recently played FO3 on Win 8.1 and put a load of mods on. Search for a reddit post on Ultimate Fallout 3 Graphical Overhaul (Mod list) and you'll find a safe list of mods to use. Regarding getting it to run in the first place, there are lots of tips online. The main ones are related to GFWL, editing a .ini file to modify the number of threads used and copying in a DX9 file. One of the mods in that post will also fix a huge number of bugs.
It's a great game, purely for the amount of free-roaming you can do and the random things you can encounter. The game is from 2010 so the graphical mods can only do so much. The GOTY edition on Steam has all 5 DLCs included.
Another mod (WMK) adds optional scopes and silencers to most weapons! I played most of the game with a chinese assault rifle with added scope, silencer, extended magazine and laser sight, while wearing my trusty Reilly's Rangers combat armour. Those Talon mercs and Enclave never stood a chance. But beware of the ghoul reavers!

Bethesda is known for some of the most hilarious bugs in the industry. Even when your game breaks you'll typically be LOLing so hard you won't care. I do wish they would get away from the Havok engine, though - its just so outdated now. All the current top-tier 3D engines can handle thousands of objects on-screen now, which was supposedly one of the big reasons Bethsoft went with it. Or maybe, just maybe, they could stop obsessing over littering their worlds with useless junk. Do we *really* need fifteen dinner plates and a dozen tin cans in every corner of the world?

I have played every Fallout Game in the series and look forward to Fallout 4 being released. The graphics may be slightly dated, but anyone who is a fan of the series will not really care that much. This is one of those games that you should care more about the gameplay itself versus if the graphics are "top notch".

I have played every Fallout series since its invention and all is different and more interesting than the previous. Not had the time to try out Fallout 4 though.

Back