TechSpot

Fan noisy on starting computer.

By martinlw
Apr 24, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Every time i start my computer the fan at first for about 30 seconds really sounds loud this is only when starting after being switched of all night,if i turn of when it has quietened there is no noise on starting,do you think the fan maybe on its way out. :rolleyes:
  2. Marcus

Marcus TS Rookie

Sounds like it mate. My processor fan started to make some strange noises after I left the pc on for weeks at a time. I peeled away the sticky label and sprayed a very small amount of WD40 into the tiny hole. I then span the fan blades by hand for a while then left it upside down on a tissue to collect any excess liquid. Whilst this worked for a week or so, I still ended up buying a new fan.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

I have to agree with Marcus, it does sound like your fan is on it`s way out.

Get a new fan and all should be well.

Regards Howard :cool:
  4. dgower2

dgower2 TS Maniac Posts: 340

Try White Lithium Grease

Try some white lithium grease to lubricate the fan. WD40 is way too thin.
  5. Marcus

Marcus TS Rookie

Not taking the p*ss mate, but how the hell are you supposed to get grease in a 1.5mm hole? I am fully aware that WD40 is thin compared to grease of any composition (although not had any dealing with lithium grease before) which is why i chose the WD40. Either there is another way of inserting the grease or it must take a very patient person (of which I am not one)!
  6. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

Any lubricant will combine with dust to make a grinding paste. For the cost dump the fan.
  7. dgower2

Um, use someting small to apply it?

Be creative man! I have white lithium grease in a spray can, so what I would do it remove the little sticker on the fan, spray a small amount of grease on the tip of a small, flexible piece of plastic, and push the grease in like you would use a spatula or putty knife.

I do agree with whomever said to just purchase a new fan. They're not that expensive. I would try to lube it once, and after that I'd buy a new one.
  8. dgower2

Replace the sticker to prevent dust?

You replace the little sticker, or make a new one, so the hole is not exposed to dust.
  9. Marcus

Marcus TS Rookie

Ah, I was correct then. You're obviously a very patient man! LOL
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.