Fan starts racing

learninmypc

It started last summer, I'd be watching a movie or streaming my local news when the fan would kick in to cool it down inside so I'd point my fan towards the rear of the W7 tower & with it on high it never happened after that.I recently read an article in one of my pc newsletters about thermal paste so if that is what mine needs so the fan won't race, is it reasonably easy to do such?
I did take my tower outside last summer to blow out any dust bunnies & it helped, but it has recent;ly started up again. I might take it outside again this weekend to blow out any dust bunnies. TIA :)

I am in the UK and there are local computer clubs to help and encourage those wanting to learn about their new computer or tablet. You are encountering so many problems that it's worth looking for such self help groups in your locality. They might have helped you rescue your recently expired laptop. :)

Techspot will never provide you with hands on assistance though yes it's very useful. A Windows PC still presents newbies with a steep learning curve although things are infinitely more reliable nowadays than they were before XP launched. Even Apple provide free introductory sessions at their shops for those thinking of buying the iPad which is pretty easy to use for the Basics in comparison to a computer.

You should be cleaning out your tower at least twice a year. Renewing the thermal paste is at the easy end of the spectrum for maintenance jobs but I'd get someone to supervise what you are doing the first time. It's not something that will need doing very often. Check the temperatures first with appropriate software because as they say "If it aint broke don't fix it!"

I know TechSpot does not offer hands on, but the help they offer is usually easy to understand.
Renewing thermal paste you say is at the easy end of the spectrum. Not every computer user will agree with that.
I'm not going to sit here & debate the replies with you because that is not solving my situation,
UNfortunately there are no computer groups in my area.
I've trusted the TS helpers to help me in the past, & I trust them to help me now.

Well prove me wrong by getting inside the machine and taking a few chances. I was a bit miffed that you were given so much help from myself and others regarding replacing your Vaio keyboard but froze when it came to actually doing the job.

I recommend that you use your laptop for some practice in dismantling components and see how it's put together. You will be removing the heat sink and fan from the motherboard in your desktop so read up what needs to be done for your particular processor and cooling system. Also look up how to take anti static precautions. Until you've smelt the smell of burning silicone you've not truly lived. :)

Check the temperatures with something like HWMonitor because you may well be wasting your time renewing the heat paste.

Well prove me wrong by getting inside the machine and taking a few chances. I was a bit miffed that you were given so much help from myself and others regarding replacing your Vaio keyboard but froze when it came to actually doing the job.

I recommend that you use your laptop for some practice in dismantling components and see how it's put together. You will be removing the heat sink and fan from the motherboard in your desktop so read up what needs to be done for your particular processor and cooling system. Also look up how to take anti static precautions. Until you've smelt the smell of burning silicone you've not truly lived. :)

Check the temperatures with something like HWMonitor because you may well be wasting your time renewing the heat paste.
I'm sorry, but in my opinion it sounds like you're putting me down for my lack of knowledge & my not willing to take a chance . When it comes to computers, I don't take chances which is why I joined here, in hopes of help.

As Bazz2004 suggested, clean out your PC and run HWMonitor. I use All CPU Meter + Coretemp to monitor CPU temp. Get a base line readings, note ambient temp also. Then play video or whatever it was that caused the fan to ramp up.

Reapplying thermo paste isn't difficult. The difficult part is probably removing the existing CPU fan. It depends on your case, how much room is inside, how is the existing CPU fan secured in place. Might be easier if the mobo is completely out. Might only have to remove the GPU (if there's one). Hard to say since there are a lot of variations.

Tomorrow when there is better light, I will remove the side & post a picture or two & see what dust there might be.
I'm hoping it's just too much dust, thank you @Rabbit01

Seems a bit warm. What's the ambient temp? Think the Phenom II x4 965 in my parent's PC runs approximately mid 40's C idle. Stock cooling fan.

"The man who never made a mistake never made anything." Same with learning about something or repairing a computer. Be aware that even the simple jobs can on occasion go pear shaped. My first effort at working inside my desktop ten years ago resulted in a blown motherboard. My mission was to replace the CPU cooling fan but it went wrong.

The utility you have installed doesn't read the graphics card temperature and that usually runs hotter than the CPU. As Rabbit01 has remarked it looks a little on the hot side. Good luck, I shall follow this with interest.

Not yet but I will. I try to keep it very cool in my room because I don't like it hot. I prefer 60-65 degrees at the max for myself. My window being open helps.

Unfortunately I don't have the type of screw driver to remove the fan seen in that picture so I'm not sure how to get the dust out of under it:(. If I knew a vacuum cleaner would work, fine, but....

Well, as weird or odd as this may sound, since I removed the side panel the fan has not raced at all.
I still plan on getting the canned air to get rid of the dust, but just glad it isn't racing anymore.

Make special sure to remove the dust from around the Fan and heatsink. For the CPU. No it does not sound odd that the fan is not racing now that you removed the side of the case. It getting more air now. Which is letting it cool down. From what you have posted. Just sounds like the computer needs a good dusting.

Back