Favorites icon gone missing

gbhall

Techspot used to have a favourites icon (for browsers) but it seems to have disappeared. Pity, I like favicons, it makes it easier to use my bookmarks.

It's still there, browser bug perhaps? We have mobile and iOS home screen icons as well.

Per the link you show is displaying a generic favicon (a kind of blue globe), which is what Avant browser uses for 'website does not offer me an icon to use'. Your screen shot is different and shows generic icon for IE9 serving the same purpose.

Now what I remember Techspots icon to be - a slighlty stylised white T on a blue background (as used by Julio as his personal picture)

I am using Avant browser, which previously showed the T figure as I say. I have not changed even the version of that browser, but the favicon is gone since the general appearance of TechSpot changed some months ago.

Just to complicate matters, I loaded Firefox which showed in my favourites as I describe above a 'T'. Turned out a few moments later, that the T icon was clearly cached, because it changed to TS on a blue background. But if I use Firefox to display TechSpot, I see the TS icon in the tab header of the page. For some reason this does not get into the favourites

Then I added a new bookmark to firefox, directed to TechSpot. This did NOT gain a new icon of any description, just as Avant browser does not.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69797&stc=1&d=1307565143

Doing my head in here, because I next used good 'ol IE7 which gives an icon just the same as Per demonstrates - a stylised IE icon, which again is the 'nothing better to use' icon as used in IE, but slightly different amongst different versions of IE 6,7,8,9 all differ slightly.

I respectfully inform you that TechSpot does have an icon as shown by Firefox (TS on a blue background), but it is not picked up by any version of IE nor by Avant (which I think uses many IE internal dlls).

May I suggest to Julio that the oldest possible standard for locating an icon on a website works best.

Attachments

• firefox clip.bmp
    156.9 KB · Views: 7
@gbhall try now, it looks like IE *really* *really* *really* sucks they only support the .ico and not even IE9 support other formats. If you can I really recommend switching to Chrome or Firefox since *every* version of IE, and variants, is behind those browsers and their engines.

Chrome: http://chrome.google.com

Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com

"Friends don't let friends use IE"

gbhall; For me IE9 displays the correct TS icon when I visit the URL I pasted
However it never displayed it inside the browser before
But now after marioestrada's change it seems to work fine for me on IE9, can you confirm?

Back